1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 2.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heavytank2, 18 Dec 2013.

1. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

So, I am trying to pick up a set of basic 2.1 speakers for the boy and his MP3 player for xmas for around $30 and I am having trouble. I have a pair of S220 Logitech speakers that apparently are discontinued and people are wanting more now, then I paid for them, then.

Newegg claims there is a "new version of this product" that total 7w when the old one has 17w. What is with the sudden fascination with satellite speakers under 5w?

Maybe I am just spoiled by the Klipsch set I have, I don't know. But years ago in the CRT age, you could get badass speakers for $50 and under.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2013
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If it's for a MP3-player than ditch the 2.1 and go for 2.0. Music really suffers by those 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Stereo is the way to go for listening to music.

3. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

How is that? Tone? Or because it kills the power-cost ratio?

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

There's something to be said for a 2.1 system in some cases, but it basically depends on the size of the stereo speakers you're comparing it to. If you like bass in your music, there's not really any way to get it with a (new) pair of stereo speakers in that sort of price range.

If you don't mind second hand gear, however, picking up an old (but working) hifi at a charity shop is a great option. You can get £250+ worth of sound for £25 if you know what to look for.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Small 2.1-systems are usually ment for desktop-use, i.e. you better sit quiet infront of the small speakers and place the sub behind the PC-screen, or under the desk etc.

A rather cheap set of two speakers and an amp, or something like a micro HiFi-system for some €50 produces better sound for listening music to in a room however.

Additionally, I find the sound of those small 2.1-systems rather lacking, and they often sound very bad compared to a cheap pair of two-way bass-reflex stereo-speakers.

I even went as far and built some small 3-way stereo-speakers for my desktop :dremel:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=256350