1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 2.40 PS3 update withdrawn, may brick PS3s

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Thankfully, I didn't get the time to run this update. Previous updates have been flawless for me, including those for the PSP - seems strange that this one is causing problems.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Just a bit of a 'whoops' there :B

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I tend to be a bit slow with the firmware updates - when a game needs a newer firmware, I'll update. Not before. So I'm running whatever firmware ships on the MGS4 disc. It's when stuff like this happens that I'm glad I avoid being bleeding-edge on consoles. On the PC it's easier to fix if something goes wrong. Well, normally... ;)

6. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Mine updated fine.... I think, XMB is a bit slower in game than I would have hoped

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

im sure its just a small thing that can be corrected quickly.
    usuall tho that it got alway the way to being released and then found out it caused problems

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

unusuall i mean

9. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

seems alright to me so far, the in game xmb seems pretty smooth. is there anyway to roll back to a previous update or is it erased everytime theres an update?

10. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

As with the PSP, there is no (official) downgrading.
    Although it is possible on the PSP using some files on the memory stick, and a software-modified battery.

11. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Lucky Me, did not get chance to update!!!

I really do not like the idea of 'Trophy's', xbox live is full of nob-heads that use their score as a reflection of how good they think they are.
    They play games just to get the score regardless of the quality of the game, it makes for gamers that are rude to casual gamers and is not what online gaming is all about?

How often have u seen someone kicked in a lobby for having a low score? and or for instance in rainbow six vegas having a low rank?, in many cases people are good players that do not find time to level up like others, or do not have the time to put into the game, should they be left out?:wallbash:

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

shame they don't make unbrickable consoles.....

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The closer consoles get to PCs in terms of hardware and architecture, the more touchy they'll be. :) A bad BIOS flash will result in a 'bricked' PC, but enthusiasts will find ways around that (like hot flashing) but someone who doesn't dig around the guts of their system with regularity wouldn't have a clue how to do that. The problem with consoles is that they're closed systems - so we're all effectively the '(wo)man on the street' who has to send the computer back to Dell if it breaks.

Although, equally, because consoles are a closed system where the hardware doesn't change from system to system the way it can do with PCs, this sort of thing should have been picked up during testing. No excuse there, Sony.:nono:

14. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yep, that is quite baffling to me -- the entire benefit of a closed system was the fact that the devs could *almost* guarantee the code written would be 100% compatible. But I suppose even tho it's a "PS3", the various 60gb, 40gb, MGS editions, etc, might have some small amount of difference, enough to cause some silly code bug.

Shame. I had a flawless update. Would be nice to know what the majority of bricked console versions were..

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd imagine its probably related to themes which aren't controlled by Sony or something the user has that couldn't be checked as clearing the HDD allows the PS3 to boot up again, so its not truely bricked in the sense that your PS3 is broken never to return.

Mine runs fine on 2.4.

Best to backup your system before updating the softwrae in future just in case it ever does cause issue.

16. koola

koola Minimodder

Mines been running fine and it's quick too. I'm sure it will be found and patched soon.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

The PS3 is closer then the 360 to that. With the PS3 corrupts you can just replace the HDD and reformat it. The 360, if the firmware screws up your console has no chance of recovery except for sending it in.

Anyways my PS3 runs great with 2.40. No issues.

This is probably just as simple of an issue as to many downloading the files from the same server at once.

18. johnnybumfluff

johnnybumfluff What's a Dremel?

update bricked my ps3

yeh it bricked mine, tried evrything i know, got girlfriend to ring, cos live in spain, and not that good with language, so they said send it back and they will replace it, problem is, this takes 5 weeks, i can't wait that long, now formatting the HD, does this work, i am not bothered about losing data, as only have saved games on it, but do not want to come into problems doing this, as not sure what to do exactly, and what cable i need, to plug from HD to comp, anyone give us a clue of how to do it, and if i try and mess it up, if i can do anything else, to mess it up more than already is, will this void the warranty, help please

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the portable console known as Pandora is unbrickable.... or so they say....... or use a dual bios system....

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The HDD takes standard SATA cables from a modern PC so you can plug it into your PC no problem thats how I've cleared mine in the past prior to putting it in an external enclosure when I upgraded to a 250GB in my PS3.

Tags: Add Tags