1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 2.40 PS3 update withdrawn, may brick PS3s

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jul 2008.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

BTW have you tried resetting the PS3 by holding down the power button until it bleeps and resets?

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Ive read on multiple forums that formatting the HD on a PS3 will solve this problem if yours was unfortunate enough to be bricked. As previous poster says... you can connect it to a PC easily.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

theres a very easy way to fix this

put the hard drive in a pc and format it . And it will all work again. Rather simple to fix. its sata drive so you will need the cable ( all modern pcs have this)

have 2.4 installed on mine no issues at all. As for wii sales . Wii is something you can go in shops and buy without to much thought . Ps3 and 360 never will be.

once consoles go above the 360 and ps3 expect the hardware to get more and more touchy as to what you can do on it. Also upgraded my ps3 with 250gb harddrive took all of 10 seconds. cost £33 (360 120gb is £99.99 ex vat (£117.49)) you can get 1 tb for £81 ish. Would love to upgrade my 360 hd just as easy . But theres no way on earth im paying £120 for 120gb of storage space.

sales figures for japan are enough to make Microsoft cry

Nintendo sold 235,990 units of its Wii
    while sales of the PS3 came to 139,494
    Xbox 360 trails the pack, with sales of 10,964 units.

go 360 go. Dont think an ms console will ever sell well in japan. Would like to see total sales for japan of all next gen hardware. If anything is close to the Wii in japan by even 50% id be shocked. Japan people go for crazy stuff.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

360 is now cheaper than Wii so you can buy it will little thought to be honest.

5. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

There is a ps3 gaming lounge in bournemouth called gamestadium (i'm not advertising) that has at least 3 bricked ps3, i downloaded the update then played bad company, it just froze, would not work, reset it and black screen thats 1 down.
    we had a gaming night of cod4 so about 30 ps3s had the newest firmware and wouldn't dl on about 6 of them

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah people who say their PS3 is working fine with 2.40, touch wood quick! Mine was working fine then it bricked today and now won't support proper resolutions.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

360 arcade doesnt count as a system you need a hard drive

8. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Dang I luv this company, it's too bad there being harassed so much right now :/ mabey this will have the tottaly unrelated effecty of making them lower the stratosphiric prices of their products.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the hard disk price for the 360 is an overkill

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

The Wii would have outsold it by way more if MGS4 hadnt been released as the week it was released the PS3 sold about 20K - 30K more consoles than the Wii and more than double the number of 360's sold. The thing that really hurt sales for the following weeks were that Sony didnt ship enough 80gb and limited edition systems as they were all supposedly sold out and stores said they could have sold way more. I heard they were shipping the 80gbs again this week or so. Sony should have thought that one through a little more I guess.

Anyways, about the firmware, I dont get why they would retract it. Its not like the majority of people are having problems with it. Its maybe 1% of PS3 owners at the most. It just seems like there are so many people with problems as they make a big thing about. But we always hear this whenever any big game comes out (MGS4, GTA4, COD4) and often with firmware updates.

Also it hasnt been restricted to just on version of the consoles. So have been 60gbs, some 80gbs. Im not sure about the 40gbs.

Whatever.. Hope they release it soon. Currently the InGame XMB isnt too amazing as not many games support some of the features so I can live without it until they re-release it. Just hope its soon :)

EDIT: Thee 2.40 Update is now online again and available for download. Supposedly there was nothign wrong with the firmware. What caused problems was on some peoples PS3s it did not download correctly so when it installed it was corrupt.

Now that I think about it, many people ive seen with the problem used WiFi to download it. And im pretty sure in the PS3 manual it says you should use a wired connection for downloading updates.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2008
  11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

well thats is daft the update should do an checksum on the update (or something more advance) and not try and do the update blindy

12. bronco840

bronco840 What's a Dremel?

update is bad

I have had my ps3 for 2.5 years and have never had an issue at all. updated tuesday and today it wont power up at all. just the lights and fans. Does anyone know what ps will do about this and can I take any action?:wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags