1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors 2 car q's for u all...

Discussion in 'General' started by ginguskahn, 25 Sep 2003.

1. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

1) Been offered a P reg ford fiesta, lots of miles (motorway), like 120,000 I think, pretty damn good nic considering, new mot for 1,200pounds... good deal or no? Just after something to drive around really, 1st car... it is white tho :rolleyes: o its 5 door.

2) After a Mp3 head unit, got about 160 to spend but can add a bit more for delivery (so basically 160 for HU), would rather not spend it all if I can help it, want something decent though, looks quite nice and good sound, Im not a bass head or anything :p Ive seen some Panasonics that look quite nice but Im new to this car lark so I dont know whats what yet ;)

Panasonic CQDFX683 was the one i looked at for 159.99 i think, Id rather steer away (no pun) from kenwood if i can, dont like that kitchen blender feel ;)

[​IMG]

Any help appreciated, im a n00b :p

Last edited: 25 Sep 2003
  2. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

P-reg in the Fiesty is the new shape, isn't it? What engine has it? If it's the 1.1, avoid. Wheezy old clunkbuckets those things.

The 1.3 is a similar engine, but they added stuff like horsepower and torque which you don't get with the 1.1.

The 1.8 diesel is the best engine they put in the Fiesty, along side the 1.25 Zetec 16v. Chances are the one you're looking at isn't a Zetec though.

As with any high miler, make sure the damned thing was serviced regularly. Fiestas are 6-9000 miles for petrol, or 6,000 miles for the davy-diesel. Also at 120k you're looking at a new gearbox and clutch in the near future, if they havn't already been replaced.

Basically, you should be able to get better for the same money.

3. ginguskahn

Yeah its the new shape, I think its the 1.3 but I'd have to check... I cant believe I forgot that :p Its been serviced regulary and pretty well looked after its not a ex company car or any thing. Its definatly not a zetec.

Gearbox, clutch... eeek :wallbash: stuff that :p

Thanks for your help.

4. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

www.caraudiodirect.com

This is where i bought all my ice and they had a pioneer mp3 player on special at the time!

5. ginguskahn

Thanks m8 Ive already found them on my travels :)

6. ChriX

ChriX ^

P reg is the Mk4 Fiesta, I prefer the Mk5 and 3s better, but whatever floats your boat. :)

I've got a 1.1 Mk3 with 40k miles that cost me £1200 with fsh, 12 months tax and MOT. The 1.1 is a poor engine but I still like my car, it's much more comfortable than this 51 reg Polo I had. I was considering swapping out the engine, but it's not _that_ bad, and I thought it would de-value the car. It was bad at first but it gets better as you get over the need to get to 60 (and beyond) as fast as possible. Answering your question, I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles anyway.

I've got a Panasonic HU too, it's the CQ-DFX983N if I remember correctly, was about £250 when I got it, dunno what it's priced at now... Looks the biz and i've never had any problems with it.

1.8 diesel was poo, RST = better :lol:

Cheers :)

7. penski

penski BodMod

The RS Turbo was an abomination. :p

*n

8. ChriX

ChriX ^

I'd still rather have that than the diesel though :D

/goes to dig up his poll about diesel vs petrol

9. ginguskahn

Thanks ChriX good post, 1st person Ive found that actually has a panny HU, good to know, thats pretty much what I want, good looks, reliable, plays my mp3s... I found out the car has pioneer front speakers and a stealth shelf with infinity 6x9s as well so that should get me sorted musically :p Its got 110,000 miles not 120,000 as well.. I know its alot but still.

Thanks again :)

10. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

get rid of the rear speakers

rear speakers mess up the soundstage bad style

11. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

A '97 1300 Fiesta with 120k on the clock has had a hard life ! Steer well clear. I bought my missus a 1995 Mk.3 with 60k a few years back (although I suspect it'd been clocked) and I have never driven such a bag of sh*t in my whole life. It was like every single bolt holding the damn thing together was about to come loose. It handled like a half-empty beer can.
    Also at 120k it is due another cam belt, if there is anything left in the engine, that is.

12. jon bda

jon bda What's a Dremel?

But with it being a 1.3, and having a HCS engine, it won't have a cam belt...
    :)

13. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

One of my Ex-Girlfriends had (maybe still has) a P-reg Fiesta - it was rubbish two years ago so I wouldn't bother if I were you - especially with that high mileage.

Tags: