1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 2 computers to 1 monitor Dual DVI switcher

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leveller, 10 Dec 2009.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Well just got of the phone with scan and now they are saying they have still got one but it's not on the right shelf LOL so the picker's marked it as out of stock , and asked me to phone back monday to get someone to look for it . As I said I do a lot of business with scan over
    £3000 in last 6 months and it's got so bad that when some one ask's me to build them a computer now I make them order and pay for the parts themself and get it sent to me and I charge them for the work, over the last 6 months I've had at least 5 occasions I've had to return goods for one reason or another and a case that had bits missing and I had to put it together it was obviously a return but I just could'nt waste any more time with them as for standards slipped more like a landslide. any way thats my rant over . I hope you have better luck

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

No email responses from Belkin - nevermind - ordered from another manufacturer. Quite surprised about that though because I though Belkin was more on the ball as it were.

No email response from Lee @ Scan either, so no advice on what to buy, little disappointed about that but I'm sure they are extremely busy this time of year :sigh:

Still expecting my new box of tricks tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

3. Teelzebub

Well what can I say scan is full of goushi thats chinese for .... I've just got of the dog & bone and thats slang for the phone after them looking all day for the shelf that kvm switch is living on and they now say its hiding or been stolen so it looks like I will be getting the same one as you off cause that dont come with cables which make's it a lot more expensive I would apreciate if you could let us know how you get on with it.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Belkin's website does have a nifty feature called "Compare" which lists all their models, all their features, specs, size, etc in a nice table for comparison from entry level -> high end. There's no need to e-mail anyone.

5. Teelzebub

leveller I was wondering if you have come up with any idea's on the cable's for the Aten KVM
    suppose they could be made up , I've reading up on them and these are the part No of one's Aten make's

Single link
    2L-7DO2U = 1.8m
    2L-7DO3U = 3m
    2L-7DO5U = 5m

Dual link
    2L-7D02UD = 1.8m
    2L-7DO3UD = 3m
    2L-7DO5UD = 5m

scan dont sell any off them though

6. leveller

Thanks for your advice Jasio but I pulled this from the Belkin website with regards their DVI-D KVM "Supports high video resolutions up to 2048x1536" - now that sounds wrong and needed clarifying, as it happens they got back to me yesterday and agreed it was 2560x1600.

7. leveller

I read your response the other day about having no cables and the air turned blue because I've got this off Atens website:

Package Content
    1x USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch
    2x Custom KVM Cable Sets (DVI-D)
    2x Custom Audio Cable Sets
    1x USB-to-PS/2 Converter
    1x Firmware Upgrade Cable
    1x Power Adapter
    1x User Manual
    1x Quick Start Guide

So, if Scan have shipped a cut down box with no cables ... Aaargh!

:wallbash:

But, if I do need cable then I am likely doing a quick journey to Maplins or PC World to get Belkin cables. Will update you later ... hopefully!

8. Teelzebub

Ok just a quick update I just got of the phone with scan yet again and now they say it does come with cables and they will update the info on the site .

Last edited: 15 Dec 2009
  9. leveller

Just a quick heads up - it has arrived, including all cables. I haven't used it yet so I cannot give you any info.

Will probably take me rest of day to set it up because I'm repositioning everything on my desk and tidying up cables etc. Will update again when it's working.

10. Teelzebub

So I ordered the same one today should get it tomorrow, I see scan has now updated the info on they site

11. leveller

All installed.

I am having issues with the USB not getting switched over to my Mac, the PC works fine. I've researched the issue a little and managed to find some more evidence of similar problems being discussed. Screen switches fine, gotta try and get the USB working though or the extra spend will be wasted.

12. leveller

OK, woke up this morning and had a few ideas ... which didn't work getting it fixed.

The short story is that I had managed to put one of the USB connections in back to front ... everything works wonderfully now and I resign to the fact I am an idiot!

13. SeewRipsmem

SeewRipsmem What's a Dremel?

Ok, i have a question regarding DVI.
    There are several types of DVI:

- DVI-I
    - DVI-D
    - DVI-A i think as well
    - Dual Link and Single Link DVI

What are the differences between all and what are the pros and cons for each one of them?

Which one would provide the best picture quality?
    For example, my HTPC has an onboard HD3300 and the onboard supports DVI-D, while the HD3450 in my HTPC runs in CFX with the onboard has DVI-I.

14. Teelzebub

Got mine yesterday , So after spending the whole day taking up floorboards to reroute the ethernet cable so two could be online at the same time I left the installing of kvm switch for today , Well got it all connected the win 7 rig worked great but the SLI one no display on post
    so I swore a few time's started to swap cable's around and realized I had connected it to the secondary gpu and not the primary one DOH !! put it on the right one and all is well works great.

15. leveller

I'll give you the best I can, I was hoping an expert could get back to you because my knowledge is limited!

DVI-I = the early standard of DVI and runs lower res than DVI-D - handles 1920x1080 (1080P) happily - and slightly higher ressies as well

DVI-D = a modified DVI-I with higher res capabilities - needed if you need 2560x1600 resolution. also called Dual Link I think (?)

DVI-A = no idea!

Dual DVI = literally 2 DVI ports

16. leveller

Result! hehe

I'm so glad to get rid of my old 19" monitor and to avoid scrabbling around to change connections (if I had tried to manually share the monitor). One thing I would have liked is a more instantaneous switching, but hey I'm really happy with it.