1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 2 different cards in one system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonicgroove, 14 Feb 2018.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

i have a friend at work that told me, while asking for some advice, that he runs a gtx 780 and a gtx 980 in the same system, running 2 monitors. I have never heard of anyone doing this before. Would there be any benefit from doing this? They aren't linked in any way other than being in the same motherboard. I told him to take one out as it was a total waste of power and money. He games on one monitor and browses on the other.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can do that, or have the other card set to just Physx only.

I used to run a HD5900 as my main GPU with an Nvidia 9800 for Physx. Only since windows 7 could you do that. :)

3. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

So if you set such a powerful card like the 780 to physx, how much of a difference to frame rates would it make?

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Not sure nowadays, but back in the day when playing games like Mirrors Edge and Mafia 2, to get all the glorified physx with an AMD/ATI GPU, you could buy a cheap Nvidia 9XXX series card and have it just for Physx. So all it does is offload the Physx to the other GPU, (In Physx enabled games) and you might yield a few more fps.

I haven't done much benching the past few years, but now I'm back here, I will once some decent stuff comes out to upgrade too.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Found this video which is worth
    a watch and will answer your question. :)