1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Hard Drives in RAID or 1 Single Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deltaworld, 28 Aug 2008.

1. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

I am looking to change the configuration of my machine due to an incompatibility

I currently have

Samsung 750GB HD753LJ 32MB Cache Hard Drive
    Samsung 500GB HD501LJ 16MB Cache Hard Drive
    Sasmung 250GB SP2504C 8MB Cache Hard Drive

All the drives above are configured as a single SATA HD connection.

The Samsung 750GB HD753LJ has been giving me problems as explained in a previous post and I am considering changing the drive.

Now do I replace the 753 for a

1. Seagate ST3750330AS 750GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - £95.46
    OR
    2. RAID Configuration with my HD501LJ +
    A Samsung HD502IJ SpinPoint F1 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache £41.99

The question is bangs per buck? As you can see the difference in price is more than double but I get only 250gb extra by choosing option 1.
    The other question I have, which would be a better performance option 1 or 2 and by how much of a performance difference?
    And finally I have noticed they don't stock the HD501LJ and only sell the HD502LJ is there a chance that I may have an incompatibility issue like I did with the 753?

Help!!!

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You probably mean RAID0 (which isn't RAID by definition BTW) instead of RAID1. But that doesn't matter if you are going to use your onboard controller. The only thing onboard RAID controllers are good for is promotion and irritation.

If 500GB suits your needs, get that one, but don't RAID them, just use them as separate drives (or is there a specific reason why you need 1 big volume?)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2008
  3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Meh, I would just have two seperate drives. I don't think that RAID0 is worth it.

4. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

Yes RAID0 Where the two hard drives are striped across each other for the extra performance.

Really? is it better to have them as single drives and not stripe them for the additional performance?

5. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The reason for having two individual disks is, as Glider said, a RAID 0 volume has no fault tolerance. That means if either of the HDDs fail then you loose everything on the RAID volume.

My experience with RAID 0 is the speed gain is around a third on top of a single disk. Is that speed gain worth the risk of loosing everything if a disk fails? If you believe it is then by all means go with a RAID 0 volume.