1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals 2 new mouse recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Almightyrastus, 6 Aug 2015.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I am in need of some guidance from the assembled collective.

I need to replace a couple of mice, one at home and the other at work:

Home

I currently use an older model Roccat Kone as my home mouse, great piece of hardware (aside from the poor weight retention system). However, Roccat's driver requirements and software is nothing short of abysmal, especially when upgrading or reinstalling. The mouse will just not work at all without Roccat's own drivers being installed, even under Windows 10 (had to reinstall them and then force a driver install by plugging the mouse into a different USB port). I have the disc that it came with but after running that all I got was a popup saying to install the latest ones from their website. Their website which needs a mouse to use...

Had enough of it.

In terms of use, my PC is mainly used for general web stuff as well as the occasional bit of gaming, nothing too strenuous, things like Skyrim, Fallout, maybe the odd bit of point and click adventure type stuff, nothing that requires crazy mouse skills and stuff.

The main thing for me is that I like a large, heavy mouse, I'm currently using the largest weight I have in my Kone and I could still do with a bit more. Wired or wireless I don't mind.

Office

My work mouse gets used for a lot of CAD work and needs to be wireless. I am currently using an aging Logitech MX1000 which has been nothing short of awesome. It's a big, heavy lump of a mouse with a decent battery life and has served me very well at home and work.

However, it has seen better days and the battery doesn't hold a charge for quite as long anymore, the charging dock has some carefully engineered adjustment in the form of several large elastic bands and the scroll wheel has some issues both scrolling and clicking.

The replacement for this one has to be wireless due to the papers on my desk and the distance to the workstation but again, heavy and big are the watchwords.

Price wise, I'm open to just about anything as I have always believed in spending enough to get something decent for the PC bits that you interact with all the time.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I have big hands and get on very well with my Func MS-3. Doesn't have too many buttons and is a good shape, keeping all fingers off the mouse mat and it does work before drivers are installed. The revision 2 MS-3 does not suffer from the problem with the weak cord attachment the first version did.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I still have a GS500s for sale brand new

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Logitech mx master is the best wireless by a distance. It's around £70 give or take.

Logitech proteus core is one of the better wired mouse.

5. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

I still have my beat up MX700 in a box somewhere, the one labelled "things to hide under in case of nuclear blast"

I'm not sure of the weight, but the Logitech performance mouse MX would seem to fit the bill?

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

For home, Mionix Saiph.

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

This. The MX Master is great for long-duration, comfy, office work and retains a fairly simple layout, but the thumb wheel is not to everyone's liking.

8. Almightyrastus

Lots of thanks guys, your recommendations are much appreciated.

So far I am looking at the MX master for the office and the Logitech G502 for home

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That MX Master looks excellent - the bluetooth + RF and ability to switch between sources would be great. So much so that despite having received a warranty replacement for a MX Performance mere weeks ago I'm now considering the Master...

If you end up with it please do report back with what you think.

Shame there's not an equivalent keyboard with the same connectivity (or if there is I've missed it)

10. Almightyrastus

Just ordered the MX master. Should be with me tomorrow so I shall let you know how I get along with it.

Grabbed the G502 for home as well

/*EDIT*/ Just hooked up the MX master to my work pc and that has to be the easiest installation I have done in a long time. Turn on the mouse, press the connect button, put in the dongle and away we go. Drivers all installed without the need to go to Logitech's site. The mouse is proper nice, good and weighty (about the same as my old MX1000) and is proper hand-filling.

The best bit so far though has to be double clicking the mouse wheel (zoom to extents in AutoCAD)... /*insert Homer drool noise here*/

The forward and back buttons are going to take a little getting used to as there is the sideways scrolling wheel just in front of them but so far, two very big thumbs up.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  11. Yspadaden

Yspadaden What's a Dremel?

I could not recommend the Logitech G502 enough. I've recently purchased a second one so now I have one at home and at work. Ergonomically speaking, it is really comfortable for most hand sizes; even my larger shovels. They are reasonably priced on Amazon, the RRP on the Logitech store is about £70 but Amazon they are going for around the £45 mark.

If the lighting isn't your thing then you can disable it and save it to the onboard memory just as you can with the DPI and macro assignments.

12. Almightyrastus

So, I have had the mouse for a while and so far so good. Gave it a quick charge when I got it and it's still sitting there on a 3 light charge. The automatic freewheeling scroll wheel is awesome, especially when going through long pdf files or spreadsheets, one flick of my finger and an excel sheet keeps scrolling down to around row 2700. The side scroll wheel is perfect for when I'm zoomed in on a pdf drawing and the extra little button in the thumb rest lets you press and move the mouse up to maximise the window, or move left to pin the window left and so on.

Going to pick up an extra set of feet or 3 whilst they are still around because this one could stay with me as long as the MX1000 did.