1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 PSU Instead on 1 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dfk, 21 Oct 2003.

1. dfk

dfk What's a Dremel?

I have 2 * 350W PSU with me. Can i use both the PSU at the same tme ?? So i can have more walts availible ?

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

it has been done before, but went out of fashion a year and a bit ago now...

last time i checked ocs, still sold a relay which would allow you to switch the 2nd psu on with the 1st, and after that its easy, as all you have to do is make some space in your case....of course you can do the modding completly yourself, but loose warranty on your psu's!!!

3. tnuc

tnuc What's a Dremel?

to run both psu`s off 1 button you need to cut 1 black (same wire on both) and the green wires from both psu's 20 pin connectors and splice together. The green wire is the one that turns the psu on so if they are both connected to the mobo they both turn on at the same time... but check first....but why stuff up warranty
    have 1 psu to power mobo/cpu/hd the other to power cdroms lights case fans or what ever u like ?
    on the spare psu just cut the green wire and a black join with a switch????
    and No it wont increase yer tottal watts output by joining 2 psu

4. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

What do you mean, it won't increase wattage. Of course it will. 2 psus to run crap off of instead of one. More drives, more lights, MOAR POWAR!

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

get yourself a 12v relay. fit this to a female molex to close the contacts when it is powered, plug this molex into your system psu. cut the green wire on your 2nd psu and one of the blacks, fit the green to one of the switched terminals and the black to the corresponding one, when your system powers up so will the 2nd psu. just use the 2nd one for fans etc.....

6. dfk

dfk What's a Dremel?

is this reliable ?

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

yes, as the system psu is unmodded, you may wish to add a current limiting resistor and diode though.

8. dfk

dfk What's a Dremel?

Does anybody here have some pics of it ?? Like how its done ?? Does it require alot of Modding skills :D ?

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

no real skills involved, some simple soldering. You will need:

a molex power splitter.
    a 12v (or 5v) relay, spst (single pole single throw, ie on/off)
    soldering iron
    solder
    appropriate value resistor...... resistor value = suppply voltage / switching current of relay, go for a resistor slightly smaller than the value you work out from that
    cable
    heatshrink
    cigarette lighter
    diode(optional)

up to an hour depending on your skills.

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I accept no responsability for any acions you may take as a result of reading this post!!!

take the power splitter and cut off one of the male connectors (ie the type that plugs into a hdd)

if you have a 12v relay then use the yellow and one of the black wires (doesnt matter which)

if you have a 5 v relay then use the red and on of the black wires.

cut off the 2 wires not being used at the centre female molex, or heatshrink the ends so they can not short on anything.

solder the resistor to one of the relay's coil terminals (ive forgotten the proper name), push a good length of heatshrink over one of the remaining wires, solder this wire to the other end of the resistor, push the heatshrink down over the resistor and solder joint, completely covering them. using the end of the flame, use the lighter to shrink the heatshrink onto the wire + resistor, keep the lighter moving, as the heatshrink will burn if you keep the flame on one spot for too long.

push some heatshrink onto the other wire and solder the wire onto the other coil terminal of the relay, shrink the heatshrink again.

repeat the heatshrink/solder process with the green and black wires from the atx connector of the 2nd psu, fixing them onto the two switched terminals of the relay.

Plug it all in and try it.

It is possible to add a switch in parralel with the relay on the wires from the 2nd psu, to allow it to be operated when the system is switched off.

It may be easier to just use the switch.

11. dfk

dfk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice i will go do the work when i have free time,

Btw whts are your 3dmark scores ?

12. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

3dm03 4500 atm while im on win2k, on xp i get 5000 ish i think, ill post when im on xp again

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7139508

i should be scoring a bit higher than that, becasue win2k doesnt like HT very much, shoul d be 15k-ish when all sorted.