1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress 2001 - A Case Modyssey - New plans = New Render Video!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 10 Dec 2011.

1. Nixjuh

Nixjuh What's a Dremel?

So here’s a little teaser.

Today the mailman arrived at my door and brought me a package. After I was done with it, it looked like this:
    [​IMG]

More about this in our next update!

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

The 2001 – A Case Modyssey is made possible with the help from the following sponsors !

Asus is going to help us with a Corsshair IV Formula motherboard

[​IMG]

EKWB is gonna help us with the Full watercooling setup including motherboard, CPU, Ram and GTX580's

[​IMG]

My favorite webshop for watercooling supplies Highflow is gonnan pitch in also ! Thanks Freddy !

[​IMG]

Lamptron is going to help us by supplying the powerfull touch fan controller needed to control the fans!

[​IMG]

The best group on facebook for your SCIFI Obsessive Creation Disorder. We have over 50 Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Alien and other SCIFI Mods. Join us and share your SCIFI creations !!!

[​IMG]

Hi all,

First of all a very merry xmas and a happy new year to you and yours!

So after gaining conscience again after the first of a set of 3 billion calory dinners, I found some time to post this work!

The fitting between the rad and the fancover is designed to be very tight fit!

[​IMG]

I have made the window frame. Did some mayor thinking to make sure the window wont stick out to much an this is what is has become. I made an internal window support onto wihich the plexi will rest. Then there will be a 2 mm cover placed over it. By doing so I had to make sure the sides would be even and had to place thin strips of alu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a test fitting i used alu to show the cover I have designed. this will be made of black plexi to go with the black powdercoated alu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dont know if i did myself a favor here, the motherboard “space” is designed to fit upton the mm. Just hoping the Crosshair has the exact same size as my test board. (i do have 10 mm of cleareance by moving it to the left)

[​IMG]

For a test with the plexi HAL memory modules I used some 10mm clear I had laying round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It kinda looks ok, but it needs refinement. I think I will use 6 or 8 mm modules and they will be placed closer together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok That was it for this update, untill soon !

ASPHIAX

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

looking good mate! like this concept alot!!!

Nixjuh likes this.
  4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

Damn that last picture looks cool ! :rock:
    Nice work so far and i like the design !

Nixjuh likes this.
  5. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

this is oooo awsome :), your plans are great i hope everything goes fine during the project !

Nixjuh likes this.
  6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks guys ! You're too kind!
    Its good to have a decent understanding of where you want to go with your build.
    Just hoping to get the hardware in soon so we can continue building!

Nixjuh likes this.
  7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Looking good :thumb: About the HAL memory modules, I think you need to refer back to your render. Yes use plexi which is a little thinner BUT don't space them closer together. Those bits are one of the things which captured everyones attention in your first post and there it looks exactly right, having them spaced close together might make it a little over cluttered.

Nixjuh likes this.
  8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Hmm I get your point, you mean instead of decreasing the relative distance also just decrease the thickness of the plexi. There's a discrepancy between the movie and the design there. Where the distance between the modules in the movie is about the same width as the module, in my design is the distance is about 2 times (or 3 times for the horizontal parts)
    I think there's 38 plexi modules spanning the 560 rad area. so there's about 15 mm per distance and plexi combo so that would make 5 mm for the plexi and then 10 mm for the distance. What I have here is 10mm plexi and 12 mm distance.
    Also the top module has been (very quickly so low quality) frosted to see the difference. I think I will only frost the sides and keep the reflective quality of the clear plexi.
    Thanks for making me think dude !

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

For reference?

[​IMG]

Found that, I did

The john

10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man !
    I was working of this image
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yours shows the modules much more clearly! And it shows the numbering format also.
    The spacing 1.5 almost 2x the width of the module, which is close to what i had in the design.
    One thing where it will certainly deviate from the movie is the colour. But i hope I can call that under the creative license ...

On another note:
    I think i will not order black plexi, change to red uv and get some black vinyl stickers made to be able to name the memory banks and logic terminals (above and below the motherboard) also!

This is what I call a serious contribution :thumb: :rock: :clap:

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

"One is always pleased to be of service"

12. M3cael

M3cael What's a Dremel?

This looks awesome... lets just hope it doesn't crash.

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Or go paranoid :eyebrow:

14. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

OMG - I often tried to explain the grandeur of the words of Arthur C Clark and its visual interpretation by Kubrick but most people I talk to about it just didnt get it ! (maybe its because I cant explain it good enough though)
    This will help in understanding why I wanted to build this project and why the movies and books are of timeless quality!

:clap::clap::clap:

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I lost track of this one some where. Just been reading through and ...Wow, it's looking good. I was right, this is going to be epic...top modding dude.:thumb:

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man !
    And good luck to us both !
    Have you got any plans for a new build?

18. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Got 2 planned, ones just going to be a fun build for a back up rig. The 2nd one could be a really slow build. My biggest problem will be finding time and the cost of it all.

Got a nice simple case mod lined up as well, so it could well be 3 on the go.

The MOTY is going to be so good next year, This year is probably the best yet, there's already 4 or 5 really good builds on the go right now that will be in there next year including this one.

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man, you're too kind !
    Getting into this MOTY is already so insain, 2 in a row ... I think I wont survive it!

Enough plans I see ! I fully agree finding time and funding are the most difficult !
    Drop me a line when you start your next so I wont miss it !

20. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

The 2001 – A Case Modyssey is made possible with the help from the following sponsors !

Asus is going to help us with a Corsshair IV Formula motherboard

[​IMG]

EKWB is gonna help us with the Full watercooling setup including motherboard, CPU, Ram and GTX580's

[​IMG]

My favorite webshop for watercooling supplies Highflow is gonnan pitch in also ! Thanks Freddy !

[​IMG]

Lamptron is going to help us by supplying the powerfull touch fan controller needed to control the fans!

[​IMG]

The best group on facebook for your SCIFI Obsessive Creation Disorder. We have over 50 Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Alien and other SCIFI Mods. Join us and share your SCIFI creations !!!

[​IMG]

Hi all,

Here is a long overdue update. Finally got a big part of the hardware in house! Xmas vacation, Logistical issues, Chinese new year it all added up to this untypical long pauze for the next update!

Lamptron has supported the Modyssey by delivering us a Touch Fan controller and a noise reduction set!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30 watts per channel ! Thats powerfull !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is the major contribution from EKWB! Gregor thanks for the help and the serious kickass products. That's one cool monkey now !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From left to right we have the EK-Supreme HF CPU waterblock, the EK-RAM Dominator X4 and the EK-D5 X-TOP Rev 2
    [​IMG]

EK-FC 580 GTX + waterblocks
    [​IMG]

The Monket is surrounded by GPU Power fitted with EK Backplates
    [​IMG]

Asus helped us with a crosshair IV Formula motherboard. Guys thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I made a couple of plexi standoffs and mounted the board and the 580's. Also placed the CPU and RAM waterblocks where they will go.
    [​IMG]

That was it for this afternoon, I will be posting the design we worked out for the interior vinyl sticker that will go over the RED UV Reactive plexi I have ordered from Highflow. This and the ram, coolant, hose and a bunch of other stuff will arrive later this week, so expect updates regularly again!

ASPHIAX

CoffeeTwoSugars likes this.