1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple 2008 Unibody Macbook Dropping Wireless connectivity

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by warrmr, 26 Apr 2013.

1. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys, I posted this over on the MacRumours forum but no one has been able to help me so I wonder if the community at Bit-Tech can help a brother out. The issue is probably due to the network settings on my new AP or that my macbook has cached the information and is trying to use the wrong encryption but I cannot seem to work out how to fix it. This does not happen to my iPhone or my flatmates windows PC I dont even think it happens when my sister brings her 2011 Macbook Pro over.

I have a 2008 unibody MacBook running OSX 10.8.3 that has a bit of a strange issue with the wireless.

I have recently acquired a Meraki MR12 Wireless Access Point and 3 year cloud controller license. This has replaced my Airport Extreme as my main access point purely for the stats and information that you can get from the cloud controller.

Since the change I have been having some issues with my network where the wireless icon shows that you are connected to the network and you can ping some key IP addressed

192.168.1.1 - Firewall / Gateway
    192.168.1.2 - Airport Extreme (Time Machine only)
    8.8.8.8 - Google DNS

This is telling me there is some connectivity, but if you try to do anything on the network that requires application traffic nothing gets through. For example loading a web page in Chrome or Safari fails, dropbox looses its √ from the icon(lost connectivity) and time machine cannot find the disk (although you can ping the airport)

If you turn the wireless on and off again then you get your connectivity back for a while sometimes it can be 10 mins others its 3 hours before the drops.I have seen on some forums that you have to force your WAP to use WPA2-PSK rather than WPA and WPA2 as this can confuse the clients.

This is a summary as to how I have my SSIDs setup

[​IMG]

I have setup a secondary SSID for testing as it is not affecting my flatmates laptop and have managed to find the optimal settings are no encryption with Meraki RADIUS authentication. Obviously this is not ideal so to add a little level of security I have hidden the test SSID.

I have tried everything to try and get my mac working on the main SSID
    SMC & PRAM reset
    New Network profile
    reset network settings to factory defaults

I have made a quick youtube video to demonstrate the issue, I hope I have blanked out any details that anyone could use to take advantage of my network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RVRV5nvfg

The WAP is plugged into the PoE port on my ASA 5505 Firewall/Gateway I have no Vlan trunking setup yet and the ASA provides DHCP.

This is the interface configuration for the ASA I have omitd alot of the conf file as it is either irrelivent or provides to much information.

The AP is plugged into eth 0/7 and the Airport in 0/1 No other client is affected but they are all non osx (iPhone, Win 7, Ubuntu, openWRT.)

interface Ethernet0/0
    description physical connection to O2 Box IV
    switchport access vlan 2
    !
    interface Ethernet0/1
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
    switchport trunk native vlan 1
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface Ethernet0/2
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
    switchport mode trunk
    shutdown
    !
    interface Ethernet0/3
    shutdown
    !
    interface Ethernet0/4
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3
    shutdown
    !
    interface Ethernet0/5
    shutdown
    !
    interface Ethernet0/6
    shutdown
    !
    interface Ethernet0/7
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,3
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface Vlan1
    description to inside VLAN
    nameif inside
    security-level 100
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan2
    description to outside interface (DHCP O2 Modem)
    nameif outside
    security-level 0
    ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.254.0
    !

2. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all of the help guys it was much appreciated. The issue seems to have been fixed in the Dev preview of OS X 10.9 either that or there has been a recent firmware update for the Meraki AP