1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs 2009: The year to buy your SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Jun 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Ordered an OCZ Vertex 120Gb model last night to replace my Core II. Hopefully there'll be less stuttering as the Core II seems to be getting steadily worse over time. :/

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think it's still far too early to adopt the solid state tech in workstations.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'd actually be genuinely interested to know why.

TBH, the original reason I went SSD was to avoid drive oscillation noise. The system isn't totally silent, but it's quiet enough for hdd noise to be annoying.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I think that when it nears at least 10% of the available bandwidth, then's the time to shift to ssd. It's getting near and shouldn't be too far off. 300MB/s read and write would be unreal. Then there's sata3 (6GB/s) on the horizon :)

As noted in the article, the problem with J-Micron based ssd's is the fact that they have previously had either no or micro amounts of cache, which has caused massive stuttering in benchmarks. The 612 chip sounds like it'll solve this issue and bring the speeds up to Indilinx/Samsung levels, then. Wonderful.

6. WildThing

WildThing Member

I was thinking about getting one when I next upgrade, probably October (birthday time! :)). Although Win7 is due for September right? So I might be persuaded to upgrade early if the price is right. As always, I will await Bit-Tech's advice nearer the time. :thumb:

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I'd grab a Corsair P256... if it wasn't 256, but was 512GB instead. Never mind!
    (Not to mention price. I'll probably get an SSD with Win7 around Christmas, when prices should be down.)

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Let me put it this way:

I love my SSD:rock:

I did not really believe in the whole hype surrounding them at first, but eventually gave in and got one, after about 1.5 month of every day usage I simply can't imagine going back to mechanical drives (have to admit though, I still use them for storage).

9. raGe82

raGe82 New Member

I think that this is October 22nd, so this could be your chance :)

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

I was planning on getting one towards the end of Summer, but likely won't be able to afford it.

Even if I could, though, I will likely wait. The new JMicron controller has really interested me. I am very curious to see whether they have pulled it back. What is the ETA on them arriving in purchasable SSDs? Anyone know?

It is looking like Christmas time when I will take the plunge. Not only does that give them a fair chunk of time to mature and decrease in price, hopefully the holiday season will see some seriously good offers.

11. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

ah, just decided to talk myself out of buying SSD in the hardware thread. and you write this article?

should i buy one? especially the mentioned Samsung 64GB MLC.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

If i'm not mistaken, the Agility is also an Indilinx drive, only with slower memory.

Anyway, i just snagged myself a Samsung SLC 64GB SSD, and i'm going to give it a spin testing it tonight. I don't even care anymore if it's really that fast, this thing looks so uber-sexy, it's the dogs dangly bits! :clap:

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I forgot to change that! :blush:

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Luckily there are always the resident pesky know-it-all forum geeks! Glad to be of service :naughty:

15. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

to be honest i would pick one up at £1 / GB but they have not reached that level yet

and my first job is to build a new home server as the old one is running seriously low on space

Tags: Add Tags