1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant 2016

Discussion in 'General' started by Corky42, 14 Nov 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I know there's still 7 week left before the year is over so there's plenty of time for things to get worse but does anyone else think 2016 has been the worst year ever, and if so why?

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Yes - pretty much the entire internet is in agreement buddy.

For example:

www.reddit.com/r/****2016

Edit:
    Substitute for ****

*foxtrot uniform charlie kilo*

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Leaving aside public events, politics, celebrity deaths and so on, for me personally it has been a year of massive highs and lows. In general there have been more low points than high ones, and whilst I have some good memories of the past 11 months, I would say with absolute certainty that it has been the worst year of my life. I will say that things can only get better from here though. I know the whole 'new year, new leaf' thing is a massive cliché, but I do plan on making a lot of changes next year, and the sooner this one is over, the better.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2016
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, I mean. I ain't dead yet, so it's not my personal worst year.

Certainly seems to be a lot of household names kicking the bucket, though. Whether that's a perceived higher number than usual, or actually higher I'm not sure, nor willing to do the research.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

One reason is the number of RIP threads needed this year.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea i was wondering if was just me who notice the alarming rate that we've lost some of the greats, what's seemed like more floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters, political turmoil, etc, etc. :(

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, it's not been a great one.

8. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I cannot begin to explain how bad 2016 has been for me. That's not even concerning the amount of celeb deaths either.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm not usually one for airing my grief on public forums, but yeah, 2016 has been a bad one. Quite a few good people dying (both celebrity and 'normal'), with Brexit and Trump to really sour things. There seems to have been more despair on these very forums too, which is never good to see. This year has also put a lot of strain on me mentally due to work and I'm looking forward to curling up in a ball at the end of the year to take a break.

On the plus side, Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe is going to have a LOT of material to work with, so I look forward to his take on things. To be honest, I half expect him to go 'Pfft. 2016.', shrug his shoulders and walk off camera.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

It's not been a good one at all. My wife's been unemployed for most of it which means that we are starting to struggle a bit (nothing too scary, we'll manage), so many people dying off, both well known and known to me.

Add that to the uncertainty surrounding the recent US election and the referendum earlier in the year and it's been a bit gloomy.

11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Honestly it's probably been the best year of my life for me personally.

I don't subscribe to the idea of judging a year by public events. If said actor dies or this influential figure, sure that's not great, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me all that much. There are billions of us around, it's to be expected a few will bite the dust occasionally. I only really take it into account if it's a personal loss, like a relative or friend.

We're also being bombarded by more negative news than ever before, I'm willing to bet. Negative news sells papers or fuels clicks for ads, so people run with it. We hear about every protest, shooting, earthquake, storm, "unfavourable" political result you name it. We don't hear the good things that happen, or at least they're drowned out by the bad.

So no, I don't think 2016 was the worst year.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

'seen far better, seen far worse.

Come on 2017, let's have you. :)

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That certainly puts political and celeb death worries into perspective. Chin up mate.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Boom.

Generally, an average year for me. I've had better, I've had worse.

15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Not the worst I think, but not great either for me on a personal level. A bunch of ups and downs (as usual I guess), just more of the latter than the former.
    On a wider level 2016 made me more pessimistic about the world than I've ever been before, in fact I've switched from always being a cautious optimist.

I guess a lot of good videogames were released this year, to provide some escapism, so that's good. ;)
    (And on a more serious note no one in my immediate family got seriously hurt or ill so I should be happy about that)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2016
  16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

On a personal level.

Bad bits some family deaths all at once, torn muscle in my backside and costochondritis.

Good bits new business venture going well and snowed under with work, brexit and trump proved to be big earners on the stock/forex market I'm on course for my best year yet.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Personally, the vast majority of 2016 has been one to try and forget. People have had it much worse than I but, by and large, this has been a pretty sh!te year in my experience.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Haven't had a year this bad since.... 2015... and that sucked...

19. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

If you mean worst year ever, well I could point to a few worse. I just think the way information is disseminated is more far reaching and constant than ever before so we get the impression that this is the worst year on record, plus there is cognitive bias at play. Jump back in time a bit and it would just be the case that these issues were not reported on so widely. More localised reportings and less integration between the news and your daily life (Smartphones, Facebook feeds, online news sites, adverts etc...). So no I do not think 2016 is the worst year ever, if it were even possible to claim a worst year (What metric should you use?) that would have to go to a day like 1914, 1939 or 1350. But I am sure the future will bring many more candidates to come, like the year we make first contact with another sentient species or we go to far with A.I, or the year we finally face another 'plague', with antibiotic resistance growing at the pace it is.

but on a personal note, 2016 was certainly my worst year.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2016
  20. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

All those dead celebrities were a bad start

then Brexit

then Trump :(

But at least my wife and I have a baby on the way, which is fantastic news for us personally. :)