1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 2021 Aorus Gaming Box features water cooled RTX 3080 Ti

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Jul 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

By what margin will the 3080ti be held back by the thunderbolt interface? Anyone care to speculate?

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

think it will perform like a bottlenecked 2080ti would do in a egpu case. i am suprised nobod has just made an external pcie connector for these use cases, i think there was an thread some where where a few nuc users modified a razer egpu case so it connects to a nucs pcie slot and there was some considerable gain over thunderbolt , i was thinking of going down this route for my sons setup but ended up getting a 2020 razerblade instead less performance but damn its a nice laptop.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But... that's Thunderbolt. It literally has PCIe lanes.

[​IMG]

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Much overhead from the controller though and so you don't get the full 4 lanes, plus really 4 lanes is not enough, my card runs of four lanes due to a fault and they are four proper lanes to CPU, it runs slower than when the card was running on its full fat lanes config.

ASUS has done an external 8x PCIe setup but it is proprietary to the XG Mobile and it doesn't look like it can take any GPU which is a shame, a lot of money to invest if you can't upgrade GPU but it does come with a 3080 so, should last a while, or it would if they actually put a desktop class GPU in, great idea limited by poor execution.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2021
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thunderbolt 4 fixes that (in theory): Thunderbolt 3 only required 16Gb/s from its PCIe path, while you can't certify as Thunderbolt 4 without 32Gb/s. Though, yes, that's still not as much as a proper 16x (or, indeed, 8x) slot.

Tags: Add Tags