1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces new PSP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

ANOTHER new storage format?

Lucky i couldn't give a monkey's...

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

QFT

Why can't sony just stfu and stop cramming crappy formats down our throats.

Other than that it looks fairly interesting, although I'm not sure I care very much.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Nice to see dual analogue sticks but I think the success of a handheld is made by the games on the platform rather than the platform itself.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Mobile gaming has moved to mobile phones now. A dedicated hand held gaming console is just another piece of tech to cart around with you.

6. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

do they really expect 4-5 hours of battery life with all the gizmo's theyve put on it? or is that 4-5 hours in standy and here's a portable generator if you want to use it? (small print generator will cost extra)

7. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Anyone else thinking that in normal use your fingers would go where the rear touchscreen is?

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the original PSP gives me cramps when try to use its joystick with shoulder buttons..... this one looks to give me two hand cramps.

3G data, so why not put a phone software on it and call it PSPhone? why does it have to be a gaming device when all people want is a pocket device that does everything.

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I am still trying to figure what is good for a rear touchscreen... Can anyone enlighten me?

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I just dont seem to see the point in this....

goes back to angry birds

11. batfink

batfink What's a Dremel?

Who gives a monkey about the hardware. WHERE ARE THE GAMES?

12. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

It looks interesting and looks like it could be good competition for the 3DS but that will entirely depend on price. Is it backwards compatible with PSP go downloads that might just be the sway for some. At this point I don't know I mean it looks like it could be good but if I was spending nearly 200 quid on a portable device what would convince me to get this over a smart phone?

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

This makes me very sad, unfortunately I'm not excited, the prospects are good apart from the terrible battery life, the original DS had 10 hours didn't it? 4-5 which I imagine is their "no audio, minimum brightness" estimate is pretty poor and not very good for what portable consoles are for, on the move gaming. But worst of all batfink says it all, where are the games?! We had a list of 3DS titles at announcement but nothing this announcement?

EDIT: Nvm, just had to look myself http://www.techtree.com/India/News/PSP2NGP_Game_Line-up_Announced/551-114289-585.html
    Nothing of interest there then, suddenly don't care :(

14. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

This seems pretty crazy to me, surely sony should have just put more effort/tech into their PSP phone...less money overall for a customer to pay, truly multi-purpose device. Sony have a product that everyone wants, plus if they are invested enough in the product maybe they will actually updgrade the android side of the device, then they win brownie points back from the android community. Win win.

15. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Yup, we'll just have the fake MS Pro Duo at mental prices farce all over again.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I may have a bad understanding but won't it just be like every other handheld gaming device (minus the UMD) that has had a new form of cartridge? I don't see the problem with that, infact I come to expect it now.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. It'll a propitiatory format locked to the NGP to try to (attempt to) stop piracy. It's no different from the NES, SNES, Gameboy, DS, cartridges people bought.

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Seriously, a 220dpi OLED screen and quad core CPU?! Give this an affordable price tag and, obviously, some top notch titles and it'll be a lot harder to say 'no' to the PSP world than it usd to be.

I think mobile phone gaming has meant that more people are now able to take a high quality gaming device around with them all the time now and naturally means it eats away at the stronghold that the PSP and DS used to have over the market, but I don't honestly think that iOS or Android have persuaded too many portable console owners to give up their devices yet; I enjoy the odd game on my Pre/iPad/Zune HD but none of them really offer the longevity that dedicated platforms seem to accomplish.

Either way though, the ubiquity of mobile gaming has made Sony and Nintendo up their game considerably so that they now have to go all out to offer a USP on their next gen devices (3D, super-awesome power, dual cameras, rear touch-pad) and at risk of sounding like an utter cliché, competition really has done the customer proud in this case.

That said though, credit must go to Sony for realising the potential in Android as a gaming platform and creating a more open-ended solution to it. With Apple making inroads with Game Centre (despite it being pretty cruddy for now) and Microsoft shipping Xbox Live equipped smartphones through 3rd parties it almost seems like a perfect fit for Sony to adopt a platform that hasn't been a runaway success on the gaming side and exploiting its potential.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  19. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

SD card games?

Sounds a bit easy to pirate to me.

Not that I'm bothered anyway, if I want to game on the go, I'll just use my Motorola Atrix (perhaps with Sony's new app).

20. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Great, a new storage format. So what do we do with all the games we have in UMD format?

Tags: Add Tags