1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AKG GHS 1 Camouflage Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

shame i have some of their propper cans and the sound is unbelievable.... us get them and a clip in mike

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

AKG should have made a new flagship headphone instead of a f****** gaming headset :grr:

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I'm pretty disappointed, I had some expectations for these as I'm on the lookout for a decent gaming headset, I had Steelseries Siberia V2 for a while but decided to return it since the audio quality was hideous.

Also, supra-aural wtf? This isn't the 80's, folks, those type of headphones should have died with the c-casette walkman.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

:(

I wear supra-aural headphones most days and have never owned a walkman..

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Haha, I love how Brand New is being used as a benchmark. Awesome.

Material likes this.
  7. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Out of choice?

8. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

:D

9. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Its got a massive frequency response for headphones though. Most only go up to 20khz!

I like.

10. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Seems like a decent pair, but if the microphone is kind of mediocre and not adjustable, I'd rather just get some good AKGs and a clip-on mic instead.

The listed specs for headphones are rarely worth paying attention to, to be honest. You really need to do a frequency response test to figure out how they're actually balanced and what their range is.

11. cdyson37

cdyson37 What's a Dremel?

I have a pair of AKG K701s - the best headphones I've ever owned by miles, but also the most uncomfortable by the same distance. I've had to chisel off the foam 'padding' (better thought of as hard inserts on the inside of the headband) and rub huge amounts of leather softener into the material, and despite doing all that and adding more padding to the headband, they still feel very uncomfortable very quickly.

12. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

The awkward headband was a major consideration why I went for K601 instead of K701. Dunno why AKG chose to use the bumps on 701 and 702, they add nothing to the design imo, and I haven't heard of anyone who likes them.

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I wish BT would do a review of the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s. They're widely used by gamers, and it would be good to see how they stack up against the competition.

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

They're a great set of headphones. It was a toss-up between them and the Grado SR80i before christmas as they are both considered the best headphones you can buy under £150.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700/

I decided on the Grado in the end as What Hi-Fi gave them the award in the 2010 best of year awards.

http://awards.whathifi.com/winners/headphones/2010

Very happy with my choice :)

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If they wanted to make a headset they should have just slapped a microphone on one of their existing models, which are almost all exceptional at their price points. Respect to AKG for exploring new markets, but they need to take this back to the drawing board I think. Gamers wear headphones/headsets for long periods of time so we want something comfortable. We also want something that looks cool, not like a kids lunchbox. They only need to look at their current range of headphones to find examples of what they should be making... so why this?

As for the frequency range... it's just numbers. I personally can hear about 15Hz - 17KHz, though the lower end of that is more feel than hear. Headphones that go above 30KHz are just trying to wow you with numbers, as humans can't hear much beyond 20KHz anyway.

16. FantasticGanton

FantasticGanton What's a Dremel?

Hi this may sound stupid to some but im new to all this.
    My sound for my pc is logitech (2 speakers and a sub)
    How to you get headsets to work for chat, does everything including game sound come through
    headsets, do you need to buy a seperate sound card??? i really have no idea

17. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

-- double post, my bad --

18. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

For the majority of games, you can't.

In-game chat is usually muxed onto the same channel(s) as game audio - therefore no matter how impressive a sound card you have it will not know the difference between game audio and chat.

If you use a separate chat client, however, you may be able to get one application (chat) to output through front headset/mic sockets, and another application (game) to output through soundcard to your 2.1 system.

Drive dependant, though.

Tags: Add Tags