1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK 'needs plan B' for internet piracy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

The problem is that it is still to expensive too fight this if you are blocked erroneously. The "Plan B" would shift the burden to the rights holders but as long as they claim to have proof the ISP would still have to comply. You still have to sue the rights holder in order to have the decision overturned, even though there was no due process in the first place.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

They just need to make it as easy to buy real music/movies/tv as it is to get the illegal stuff. That and bring the prices down. I have spent so much money on games in Steam or Direct To Drive sales, that I would never have spent before, because these games were at a cost where I didn't mind losing out if the games turned out to be rubbish. I'd also be prepared to play full price for games I knew I'd love.

4. evanjdooner

evanjdooner Booty like POW!

How come Consumer Rights representatives weren't invited?

5. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

The thing is its been FAR too easy to get hold of anything you want for FAR too long, people no longer feel that its illegal to grap anything they want, and the sheer amount of ways to get things is going to be so hard to stop i dont think its possible now. There are many more websites linking to another five where these files are kept so unless they plan on blocking a good 20% of all websites then this will never work. If people want somthing they will get it... you cant stop the internet.

6. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

This is the classic case of the entertainment industry looking for ways to punish pirates while sticking to their old ways. If they were smart, they would look at why people pirate and then try to find ways to encourage them to go legit. So often the pirated product is more convenient (ignoring cost). HD Movies with no adverts, menu animations that can't be skipped, region restrictions, etc. Games with no DRM (or at least without intrusive, disruptive UBIsoft style, DRM).

Obviously things need to be done to discourage pirates. But they really should be looking at ways to encourage consumers as well.

Section 17 of the Digital Economy act was entirely blind to these causes of piracy and looks to set in place some very draconian methods. Blocking internet sites? That seems a bit too Chinese government to me. It's good to see that they are looking to make a change to the way sites would be judged as illegal though. The original document simply left it to the government (advised by members of the entertainment industry with no proof required) who would then force ISPs to ban them.

Something needs to be done but Section 17 really is very lazy. The industry needs to look closer to home.

Can I get my Ad free, region free, Blu-Ray now please? It costs me £20 and I expect more!

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

This. I used to pirate games a lot just 4 years ago, but I've not bothered since the day it became easier to buy a game off Steam than to download and crack it. Just look at this weekend's sale - C&C games for £3.74 each!! I can feel my wallet jumping out of my pocket, and I don't even play RTS games that much!

8. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Most of the bill should be scrapped.

9. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

+1 to that.

I admit I used to do the same thing. With Steam having an almost 1click process to buying and delivering games, it's never been easier to buy legit. And with the constant sales and discounts, it's never been cheaper. My library on Steam has at least 100 games on it.

Also for music there's iTunes. I know a lot of people hate iTunes. But I love it. One click and boom songs on my computer/iPhone. Legally and fairly cheaply.

TV shows? BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, youtube channels. TVCatchup.

Unless it's easier to get content legitimately than it is to pirate, it's always going to be a problem.

Getting ISP's to block websites is the start to a controlled internet where what we can access is screened. If a site is illegal then the copyright owners should be given a system where it's easier to take the site down.

ISP's shouldn't take any blame, the internet is based on freedom and they shouldn't be told what their customers can and can't access.

10. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Steam is awesome, I have bought so many games from it at great prices since I signed up.

Surely there is a market for a similar application or website that offers TV and Movie streaming or downloads at great prices? I use SeeSaw quite a lot for TV, its great for getting programs you missed and renting is quite cheap, but the thing is I don't like renting, I would prefer to own and download permenantly. And don't tell me iTunes, that is so rubbish, it can't even handle me pluggin in my iPhone once in a while to put the bit-tech podcast on it!

I read a really interesting article recently about Anime pirating which was based around why Anime fans prefer to download "fansubbed" episodes instead of buying the DVD/BluRay or using legit streaming services. I think the consensus was that "fansubbing" was better quality and had faster release times than legally subbed and released titles offered by companies like Funimation. I think this proves that what people are looking for is convenience and quality at reasonable prices.

I for one would love a legit app for my HTPC like Steam but offering HD TV programs and movies at good prices! Or maybe there is one already, anyone know of something like this? Actually I know there is a app which offers a service for Chinese TV, but that is not much use to us in the UK :(

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Going to risk a ban here and say that in some ways piracy *has highlighted deficiencies in the current market*.
    It's forced the over priced & badly organised entertainment industry to try and compete on an unfair playing field, eventually resulting in lower prices and a better system for buyers, which has meant more people buying.
    I've noticed just amongst family and friends in the last 2-3 years more and more are buying rather than going looking for a pirate copy, because it's easier/cheaper now and I'm fairly sure this is not just restricted to my little part of the world.
    So in some ways piracy has worked, but obviously it's still BAD. :)

*Edited by moderator*

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Feb 2011
  12. popcornuk1983

Thanks for mentioning SeeSaw. Never heard of it before but looks impressive. I'll give it a try :)

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I don't think consulting a rap star is the way to deal with this.

14. alick

alick What's a Dremel?

i hope i can still watch all my favorite tv shows and documentaries that are't produce in uk

15. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

No problem I found it when I was getting frustrated with using BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD. SeeSaw combines programs from all over the place, a lot from 4OD but others as well. The Documentary section is really good! And they are starting Battlestar Gallactica now with the mini-series for just £1.99, now that is worth it!

16. popcornuk1983

I've already got all the series on DVD. Including the "The Plan" special. Gutted it's over.

I've been meaning to get into Misfits and noticed it's there. Ok uni work can get stuffed :D

17. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

I don't see a point in pirating games, Steam is so much easier, and you can actually play them online without lots of effort! Now if only my area had some decent internet infrastructure.......

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What alot of people allready said... bring down prices and see sales go up and piracy go away.

I'd happily pay $9.95 for a downloadable movie I can watch as often as I like (e.g. no DRM). And I'm happily buying games at $14.95 aswell (only if I don't need an online-account like Steam tho). The new album of my favourite singer/group for $9.95 in highest bitrate possible?... count me in there too, if it comes without any DRM, as I want to listen to my music everywhere I go on multiple devices.

Anything above those prices is just too much, if the companies want to sell me their stuff more frequently.

19. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

If these mega rich-ass corporations spent as much time on actually doing some work to encourage take up legitly of their products instead of trying to find someone to make responsible for piracy, then maybe they might actually start cutting down on piracy which doesnt piss off loads of people and actually makes them money. I bet there's quite a few people reading their whining bullcrap and thinkin "you know what I will pirate the retarded music of Soulja Boi just to stick it to you"

Valve created Steam and i'm pretty sure made a ton of people convert from piracy to actually paying for games, and not only that but buying games they would never hav even considered previously, and buying games they will never play. I bought red orchestra and i've played a whole 5 minutes and that's it, bought Mass Effect and didnt even touch it for over a year.
    Although Activision seems to be doing it's hardest to actually encourage piracy with their highly overpriced games and increasingly poor development.

Easiest way to encourage people to buy product instead of piracy is to lower prices

20. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I think part of the trouble is the MP's telling what is right and wrong and next thing we hear is they are all on the fiddle.Pot,kettle,black springs to mind

Tags: Add Tags