1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

": the X-Meridian 2G is the best card we’ve heard for analogue audio for music and films."

Yah, like you can tell the difference between cards you've reviewed :/

You guys should do a ABX test between cards.

A lot of these consumer cards are in the price range of some very high quality professional tools. So I don't really see much of a point in buying them.

3. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Yup. I'm skeptical. And is this really a card that anyone making music would use anyways?
    They want a stereo sound card with focus on recording and often use external devices for this anyways.

Also I thought we were passed analogue audio outputs from a PC a long time ago for surround sound. Just go HDMI to a receiver. This must be for the folks that just have a Creative/Logitech speaker set with analogue inputs only. Sucks. All those cables from the sound card to the subwoofer/amp box. I guess you can wrap them all in braiding to make them look like just one fat cable instead though.

Feel free to school me on the purpose of this card though.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The purpose of this card are for those who enjoy music but can't spend above 200$ on a speaker system for their computer. Any computer speaker that are 100$+ (especially most Logitech ones) will show a large difference between: onBoard and a dedicated sound card like this. Not everyone is ready to have their computer attach to a McIntosh amplifier purchased just for the PC, with 300000$ speakers... well you get my point.

And unless you spend A LOT on a computer speaker system, or some other sound equipment, any onboard sound card that the speaker/amplifier may have, (usually these setup have on USB or optical plug) are garbage. Using an analogue plug(s) atatched to a dedicated sound card is way superior in such case.

Remember that with optical or USB, you are just displacing the sound DAC analysis system somewhere else... and usually, the 'else' part is utter crap, due that the manufacture try to make it's product very affordable (or increase profit), and all they look for is that it looks cool on the box.
    "Citizen amplifier! Now with Optical technology! Music never tasted so good! [picture on the box shows a lady eating a speaker]"

These setup are, or COULD BE, slightly better than onBorad sound card, but nothing compared to most good dedicated sound card, unless, as mentioned, you are ready to invest heavily on the amplifier or/and speaker system.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2011
  5. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

What speakers did you listen to to test this on?

6. wafflesomd

It doesn't cost a lot of money at all.

Here's some measurements of my room using Behringer 2031p's. They cost a meager $169 U.S.

[​IMG]

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I've seen a few graphs like that and I still have no idea how you can do them ?!

Also, my Auzentech Bravura looks much better :D

8. wafflesomd

Well you basically just take a microphone which is made for measuring frequency response and play a series of tests through the speaker. There is a lot of software made just for this purpose as well.

This is used to check a lot of different things depending on the test you run. You can run sweeps which play rising frequencies from say, 20hrtz up to 20khrtz. Pink noise can be played as well, which would play all frequencies between the desired spectrum (20-20 most likely).

The colored lines on the graph are off axis measurements. Which is just taking the mic and moving left or right taking it off the center axis of the speaker.

You can also measure things in a time domain. This helps you show where build ups in certain frequencies may be. This really only matters 20hrtz-500hrtz in which frequencies don't have very much directionality, or none at all. This can show you where to put room treatments to absorb frequencies to flatten the overall frequency response and lessen the effect of the room.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I bought this soundcard last month to replace a crappy XFI Titanium Fatal1ty. The XFI used to hard crash the PC when I "changed sound modes". Cheap plastic jacks on the XFI. What shocked me was how fast this Meridian 2G is in terms of ASIO performance. With the XFI I had to set an ASIO latency of about 3ms. With the Auzentech I can set 1ms ASIO latency. Sure XFI claims to do 1ms but in actual fact the audio stutters at that timing.

The control panel with the Meridian is also way better. No more crappy mode switching for Game/Movie/Music...

I don't think I will ever buy a creative soundcard again.

10. moriendi

moriendi What's a Dremel?

Weak review + looks like reviewer forgot one major thing.

It hasn't external power supply connector like PCIE soundcards do. All PCI slot powered soundcards suffer from buzzing and other garbage sent by stronger gpu's.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I still enjoy my ASUS D2X sound card with of course the Unified Xonar C-Media Control panel drivers and yes I still use a Creative 7.1 surround sound system (with wire mod for true 7.1 surround sound) which still sounds great but I have been debating about going with the Logitech Z-5500 since I dont want to fork out for a dedicated receiver and speakers for a gaming rig.

12. wafflesomd

Z5500's are great. They lack a bit in the upper range since the drivers are full range but they still sound wonderful IMO. They use very high quality Tang Band drivers.

Here's the sub specs.
    http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/wt-644f.htm

Relatively high BL and great QTS.

13. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

I have an Auzentech X-fi hooked up to z-5500 speakers through analogue (on purpose) and I'm pretty happy with this set up. Auzentech make the best sound cards of the ones I've used.

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

"but nothing compared to most good dedicated sound card"

care to give some examples?

(btw I do have a separate dac but it cost more than 4x the price of this card... its now also moved to the lounge so I've just grabbed a 2nd hand card to help out in the study... )

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Its all about very good quality convertes. Put on some HQ converters and any soundcard will sound good.

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just wanted to correct the reviewer regarding relation between Auzentech and Creative.

As it is, Auzentech is actually best known for CMedia-based sound cards, mainly the X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect. Back then it was released under the HDA company moniker. In regard to Creative, Auzentech was the first third party manufacturer allowed to release a sound card based on Creative's X-Fi processor.

Would be nice if such basic facts could be gotten right.

17. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I use an M-Audio 2496 for now 5 years and I'm very happy with it. This card cost around 90€ and has a great sound quality. Ok, it only outputs stereo sound but I only use it to listen to music.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=adf95efc30b88aba043fa8b83343bfb8

It has ASIO drivers, splittable analog RCA input (stereo or dual mono) as well as splittable analog output (stereo or dual mono), Midi input and output, Digital RCA input and output.

Use it with monitoring speaker (M-Audio or KRK make great and affordable ones) or plug it directly to an amplifier thanks to the RCA connectors.

I had many Creative sound cards, and I'll never buy "commercial" sound card again. Professional grade sound cards are affordable and deliver excellent sound if you only want stereo sound (mainly music use).

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I sold my M-audio 10/10LT late last year. They are known to be problematic with drivers. The cards are pre-windows 7 and some people have problems with glitches and other sound problems. The problem I had was that the card was locked at 41khz sample rate and reinstalling the driver made no difference. Also it seems the SPDIF didn't work on the card. I ditched it and bought the Auzentech Meridian 2G and it's the best card I've owned.

19. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

M-audio make some nice cards and if I were only interested in stereo music i'd go that route.

As it is i'm after a pcie card with 7.1 analogue that also handles headphones well, which makes the xense (despite the unwanted headset) probably the best card out there at the moment for me.

Going the HDMI route is all well and good but how do you route sounds from games both win baed and emulators?
    How do you route multi channel flac?

20. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Go for that card then : http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo_xt.html (except it is PCI)

Mine is pre Win7 and I have no problem with driver, no glitches and sample rate can be changed. Maybe it is specific to the 1010 LT. Bad luck

Last edited: 28 Feb 2011
Tags: Add Tags