1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD demo Llano on YouTube

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Mar 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I think it demonstrates how we have enough cores for now till software cathes up and the focus should be making those cores do more.
    who renders while playing a game AND watches video all while working on excel? (all on a 14" screen)
    completely unrealistic and just makes me question their credibility
    when products get reviewed, i'll think back to this vid

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm losing more and more faith in AMD as each month passes tbh.

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Obviously AMD are going to be setting all the parameters for a demo like that to make their system look as good as possible, (while making Intel's look as bad as possible) so in that sense, yes, it should be taken with a pinch of salt. However. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any merit to it all.

AMD must be pretty confident in what they've got to now be making direct comparisons to SandyBridge, so as a complete neutral in the 'fanboy' stakes I'm interested in it. Hurry up and bring it to market and let us see it for real and know the price.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2011
  5. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

looks like a magnificent chip for thin-n-light 12" laptops.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

need to use more of that Fusion idea.

dump all floating point calculations to the on-die GPU, remove floating point units in CPU. in fact, make the whole CPU part to be a microcontroller wrapped around the on-die GPU, all calculations done on GPU, the CPU just process branching and task scheduling.

currently, it doesn't seem much different in terms of top level design from Sandy bridge..... too conservative, not as innovative as AMD marketing is making it to be.

7. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

In a neutral news piece like this, your words could do with an explanation tbh.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Explanation? The video they made is just stupid. greigaitken has already said what I was thinking. Companies need to use real world scenarios. Not something noone will EVER do with the chip.

9. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Llano should easily beat Sandybridge in every application which can use it's SIMD cores - 300 ~ 500 GFlops is far beyond SB(~80 GFlops). Though situation might be different in apps which can't use Llano's stream cores - as it's x86 cores are updated K10...

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Llano looks like it will be an interesting addition to laptops and more mainstream desktop PCs, depending on price/performance.

Although the video told us what we already know, that Intel's GPU parts still struggle, just a bit less than they used to.

AMD's main challenge is to persuade more developers to exploit the compute power of the GPU in their apps.

11. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I don't understand your argument ... surely the point is that none of us really know anything until BT etc have benchmarked the stuff to see real-world results? In which case we can only take this video at face value, and at face value it looks good.

I don't know ... how about throwing folding in to the equation, and converting a video file to a mobile-friendly format and playing Crysis 2 while doing that? Sounds kinda useful to me ...

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It’s piqued my interest, I am currently running an Athlon X2 2Ghz Athlon with an HD3200 chipset in my HTPC and having recently upgraded to Freeview HD tuners I am finding my HTPC chugging a little much on playback for HD, my assumption was that UVD is not doing the business on FreeviewHD streams as I get a lot of CPU usage.

I’ve OC’d the CPU and allocated more GPU RAM which has improved things but its not as smooth as normal TV used to be, I have an LC19 case, no space for extra GPU, looking for better low power integrated solution, I was going to take a punt on Zacate which despite a poor CPU might do the business with UVD3 but this looks much more likely to be up for the job :cool: couldn’t trust an Intel GPU, drivers aren’t much cop, Linux compatibility is always poor too and I've discovered on my laptop :(

13. Goty

Goty Minimodder

You mean like comparing a bunch of meaningless synthetic benchmarks? Yep, that's a MUCH more valid comparison. :rolleyes:

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i never pay attention to any videos like this. i like amd but anyone who actually buys a product based on a video made by the manufacturer is an idiot. if intel made this video and the results were switched around, i still wouldn't listen to it. if an unbiased company like asus or gigabyte made it, THEN i think thats something to take note of.
    i'm sure this will be priced less than the SB, but i am curious what the frequency is. i would assume it'd be the same frequency because one amd officially releases this, if the frequency is notably higher, this demo won't convince anyone, unless of course theres a massive price difference.
    i agree with the other comments saying that nobody would do all of those tasks at the same time, its just stupid.

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It will be a fight back. AMD may even take the lead.
    But if it takes them another eight years to come up with another new architecture (we've had k8 derivatives since 2003), it won't be long until Intel's tick tock strategy leaves them far behind again.

16. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming Llano would allow people such as myself who stream video to other devices throughout the house at the same time via PlayOn while gaming (all on the same rig) to see a real world benefit?

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

This looks promising, but AMD should of gotten their act together ages ago. Intel potentially handed them the market last month with the Sandy Bridge shambles. It's been wasted though as AMD simply didn't have a competitive product to sell.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I hope this is more accurate then their Zocat versus i5 video demo because as reviewers have shown the Zocat is just slightly better in terms of CPU power then an Intel ATOM and no where near as good as full bore CPUs. So ya I hope this isnt being overly the top as AMD really needs this.

19. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

promising, but i find it odd that you would use i7-2630QM without discrete graphics. I think we are all assuming that on pure cpu power llano isnt going to destroy sandybridge, and its the graphics which is making the difference here.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Both come with a GPU and i would guess are aimed at the mid-range laptop market and the budget desktop market, where system builders are looking at the best option with limitations on the extra hardware fitted and relatively low power consumption. The GPU in the AMD APU looks like it might manage a bit of gaming, unlike the built in Intel option.

The key though is pricing and the amount of software available that will be optimised for the GPU rather than the CPU.

Tags: Add Tags