1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD squares up to Core i7 Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Didn't we read the same on the release of their 6 core CPU's, what happened to them again?

Does this mean AMD will have no answer to Intel's LGA2011 due out after the summer?

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
  3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

They are good at rendering (Maya, 3DSmax, etc.). I'm looking to change my "old" Q6600 and was planing to go to i7-2600K, but maybe I should wait a lil' more to see what this 8-cores will be.

I'm mostly interested with 3D rendering / physics simulation.

4. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

I'm not holding my breath, but I really hope this is true. For years the only sensible CPU purchases have been Intels and some actual competition would be fantastic.

5. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Not worried. I have a 2500k and its MORE than enough for me. I havent looked at AMD chips in years.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I really hope AMD pull one out of the bag here, would love to go Bulldozer rather than SB, no fun benching on air :(

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Don't think me and my 5ghz 990x is bothered...

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

thumbs up for amd, I'm going to go for a bulldozer build if this 8 core chip is good :D

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I'm sure most hope AMD can manage something to properly compete with intel. Thats asking a lot though and i'm sure most - like me think i'tll be good, but wont quite equal what intels got.
    even if it did, all intel has to do is instantly bump up the multiplier a few notches and stay on top.

10. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hopefully, AMD will not lock OC on any of the CPU part of the APUs, which will give them another extra boost in the low and mid range.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

wait... so amd's 8 core bulldozer is supposed to be the competition with intel's current quad cores? i thought bulldozer was multi-threaded.

i like amd but really, if it takes one of their multithreaded 8 cores to compete with an intel multithreaded quad core, this is probably the most embarrassing hype-up i've seen in computers. however, if this is NOT multithreaded and really is faster, then i'd say amd has done a great job. i hope for amd that this 8 core cpu is not multithreaded.

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "multithreaded", schmidtbag.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

You could have got your 990 for half the price if there was decent AMD competition at the top end market.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It concerns me that nowhere did it say "Better performance for price" explicitly. I don't think I'd be capable of preventing laughter if I saw an AMD part going for £900~

Sure, AMD are very, very good value for money, but the best way of squaring up to the i7 would be to undercut it whilst still providing the same performance. Everyone's on a tight wallet at the moment, so producing something better for cheaper would surely earn them more sales at this point in time, anyone else agree?

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

more cores, but AMD is counting a module as 2 cores, in another words, Intel's 970-990x can be count as 12 cores.

fanboy "leaked" slide or AMD's desperate failed attempt at making people drool.

16. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I think you should work in their sales department :D

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

ooooooh me nerves.

18. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Doubt more cores will bring better games performance, which is all I am interested in.

19. blink

blink stay cold

I think he is referring to Intel's "hyper-threading" (simultaneous multithreading). I am not completely sure but I don't think that the AMD 8 cores have anything like hyper-threading. They are 8 "real" cores to my knowledge.

20. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Do these cpu's work with AM3 motherboards? Like the Phenom II did with the AM2+ socket?

Tags: Add Tags