1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XFX warranties HD 6990 4GB overclock switch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm pleased that XFX is decent enough to cover the unlock switch but I do feel this is something that should've been covered by AMD in the first place. Why add the feature if they are unsure of how it'll impact the card's life?

3. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

They can't predict the environment in which the card will operate so if the case is under ventilated prolonged use of the switch could damage the card i guess. AMD's stance is one of "use at your own risk", no doubt they've intensively tested the card and deemed the switch safe in the consumer market but if you cook the card because your systems not cooled properly i guess that's not really their fault. Although i'm probably wrong :)

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I doubt they are unsure of anything and would contend that they have a very good idea of how the overclock feature effects the life of the card. I believe that simply stated the cards MTBF would drop to a point where AMD's accountants decided they cannot cost effectively honour warranties on them, however the accountants of the board partners may feel different. Like the man said XFX will be boasting sales on the back of this news.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Xfx? I am suprised. normally getting them to honour warrenties is like pulling teeth...with a spoon.

6. enciem

enciem Minimodder

That's probably why they said they'd warranty it. If they never honour their warranties then it doesn't matter if they extend it to the use of the second bios.

Disclaimer - Never owned XFX gear so going on your comments only

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Common sense prevails!

8. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

If XFX waranties did what they said on the tin this might be news.
    As is they tend not to be worth the paper they are written on on and adding one more thing to the list they are supposed to do is just a box ticking exercise for free press.
    Yes had an XFX card once and never again.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yeah, I agree, but I still think than AMD are not playing nice by putting such a tempting switch on it!

Still, I suppose one can use afterburner on the default mode, right?

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

If I was to get my hands on one of these beast, I would label that switch "Magic" and "More Magic"

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I think it's a pretty good move from XFX. Going for a ATi-only board partner recently can grab them a few customers willing to fork out for this graphics card.
    That will increase the producing number of the 6990 and more revenue since the Antilles switch now has warranty.

12. tcool93

tcool93 -----

XFX does honor their warranties. I had a totally dead card once and they replaced it. They even gave me the option of upgrading to a faster card at a good price. Although this was with XFX in America... from what I have read XFX in other countries is very bad.

13. tcool93

tcool93 -----

I am getting sick of the blatant lies and rumors that get spread about XFX. My experience with them was great, and their double lifetime warranty is great. In fact none of the radeon cards even came with a lifetime warranty until XFX came along.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Too right they should cover it!!! Would you buy a car where the warranty only covered you if you didn't use 5th gear?

They provide the card with the switch out of the factory, therefore, it should be covered under warranty - and if they're not prepared to cover it, remove the switch and the hardcore overclockers can just flash their own BIOS as has always been the case.

And to put my spin on the XFX bashing... I'm now on my 3rd XFX card in my time building PCs. Only one of those needed RMAing, an 8800GT, and was dealt with immediately. I even received my new card from them before they got my old one due to the superb customer service phone contact throughout.

I appreciate people have bad experiences with certain manufacturers or retailers, but I can't stand it when people jump on the bandwagon. By all means, heed warnings or recommendations from friends or forum users, but don't slander companies based on the experiences of others. It's not cricket.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  15. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

why put a switch there in the first place if you did not wont people to use it

16. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

I think Kasius, hit the point on the nose.

Since AMD does not know what your set up is going to be you might just cook the card if you used the switch in an unvented case. Their tech probably know how much cooling the card would need to keep the thing cool with the switch on but cost would have pushed it to beyond what they calculated as a reasonable cost.

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

"a yellow sticker over the Dual-BIOS switch, which advises owners that enabling the overclock will void their card's warranty "

It's like including a button that says "warning do not press or card will burst into flames"

If you can't warranty it then for gods sake don't include it !!!

18. FDAD

FDAD What's a Dremel?

Hahahahaha:thumb: :clap:

It like a sign tell you to use the elevators in case of fire to go down quickly, but if you die it's your fault!

19. Doom72

Doom72 What's a Dremel?

XFX is the worst company I have ever dealt with, stay clear.

20. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

Actually the sticker says "Caution: Read owners manual before removing". My Gigabyte manual says nothing about the switch or overclocking.

Tags: Add Tags