1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple will be larger than IBM, says analyst

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just go away and die Apple. I'm already bored of you.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Yes I'm not Apples biggest supporter here but I do fear for the direction of the company after Steve Jobs.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so when will Orange rise up and do a commercial like this, to Apple:

i'll get my coat.

5. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

The app store adds a lot of revenue for Apple, but the profit it brings in is tiny. They make all their actual money from selling the hardware.

6. danielg

danielg Open Internet

IBM? LOL!
    What about Exxon Mobile?

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

As much as i don't like how apple operate they are a good business and know how to market their products well.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Woah! Stop right there. Apple takes 30% of every sale on the App Store, including through the new subscriptions features. As these are third party apps that have cost Apple nothing to produce (other than perhaps the relatively small cost of validating apps and adding them to the app store) and the marginal cost of delivering an app is effectively nil, that 30% is basically pure profit.

If you use an iPad as an e-reader (as many do), then Apple gets 30% of every book you buy and of the subscription price of any newspapers and magazines you receive through it. Not sure what the figure is but they also take a healthy chunk of every song you buy, every movie you buy or rent, and 30% of every app. For a company that isn't actually responsible for generating any of this content, that's a frankly amazing deal.

In case you hadn't noticed, Apple recently announced it has delivered over *10 BILLION* apps. In the space of - what? - a couple of years? And the rate of app downloads is only going to increase as the installed base of iOS devices grows and the library of apps expands. Granted many of the 10 billion apps "sold" will have been free, but Apple could sell iPhones and iPads at breakeven or even at a loss and still make a fortune out of the whole ecosystem, thanks to music, video, books and apps sold through the iTunes Store.

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Apple will grow in the mobile app department and at sometime will ease out/level out the mobile app department, while another (*cough *cough *Android), continues to grow aswell, that's how it always been, just add a few die hard fanatics to apple and you are set, that's the only thing diff,lol

10. mclean007

Um, I dunno, I give up. What about Exxon Mobil? What's your point?

11. mclean007

Wow! Nice vitriol. If you're bored of Apple, just ignore it and its products. Lots of people (me included) happen to rather like them.

12. danielg

danielg Open Internet

They could be larger apple

13. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Problem is you cant ignore them. The whole "In your Face!!!" marketing makes it very hard to not get pissed of by them. Plus all apple hipsters in my Uni keep reminding me why I dislike apple.

14. beckoner

beckoner What's a Dremel?

From this, am I to take it you don't like the kind of people who use Apple products and then tell everyone around them how good they are? Would this be a subconscious reaction to products that enable tech-illiterates to operate in an increasingly complex environment, leaving the tech-warrior feeling that his edge is somehow being blunted?

15. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Well at least we have been given warning that the end is nigh.

16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

How about STFU and ignore it. The only person your annoying is yourself. I don't have any apple stuff, purely due to functionality, my notebook does so much more. But I have to admit, the iPad and iPhone are polished products and their marketing is brilliant.

For 95% of computer users, they're great products.

17. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

rofl at that response

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So all the server infrastructure, and the 10th's if not 100th's of people it takes to keep the Appstore going on a day to day basis are working for free?

Wait wut?

19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Problem is you cant ignore them. The whole "In your Face!!!" marketing makes it very hard to not get pissed of by them. Plus all apple hipsters in my Uni keep reminding me why I dislike apple.

I would its anything but "in your face" its subtle,simplistic and clever marketing. People like apple for different reasons i love my macbook pro and think its one of the best investments i have made. I love the OS it looks good and its unix based dont know what else i would ask for?

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Spot on, Apple's marketing people are very good at what they do. Look at the ipad 2 release in the UK today. That goes on sale at 5pm this evening rather than first thing in the morning. That gives all day for the queues to build up to massive proportions. To the sort of levels where the media will be reporting on how many people are 'lining up to get their hands on the new iPad 2'.

The result, massive amounts of additional, country-wide marketing that Apple have not had to pay a penny for

Tags: Add Tags