1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Antec Rockus 3D Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 30 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

lolz at
    Far from huge IMHO.

For this sort of price, why don't people go for either hi-fi components or a proper 5.1 system?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I hope some of the speaker sets you'll be reviewing over the coming weeks include the Logitech Z906s - the follow up the the ridiculously fantastic Z5500s

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Who reviews this stuff?

i know that speakers are subjective but SP2500 as the best? Please pull the wool over someone elses eyes.. they are awful!

The antecs are better in near every way however the 3D effect needs canning as it is awful too.

Finally.. Aego Ms.

When will bit-tech/custompc review something with real substance rather than some shoddy awful rubbish like the corsair units that only sell because they have "corsair" printed all over them.

buying the name MUCH!

/rant.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

But have you seen the current price of said Logitech Z-5500's? They are now just under £400 for a new set, up from around £250 but about a year or so ago (maybe longer) I saw them for £190.

As for the new range of Logitech's Z series speakers both 2.1 and 5.1 sets I hear that the bass is slightly flat and the satellites have a muddy mid range.

For this reason and reviews on other sets I have just bought myself a set of Logitech X-540 second hand but in brand new condition for £50... Now that is a 'Sheen'...

6. hbeevers

hbeevers Yes, it can play crysis!

just buy a second hand amp for about £80 off ebay and get either some Mission MX1's, wharfedale diamonds (ebay) or cambridge audio S30's. Music quality would be incredible compared to any 2.1 PC system as would stereo positioning. Add a 2nd hand sub for £120 and you've got a pretty impressive Hi-fi and gaming system.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You've also spent over £300

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

hbeevers has a point, I use an old Rotel Pre-Amp + 2 x Monobloc poweramps that I bought over 15 years ago, paired up with a nice pair of floorstanding Mission 733's. Okay, so the system cost about a grand but how many 2.0/2.1 systems can you go through in 15 years, still searching for audio perfection...... lots is the answer.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I use a Denon amp with my Mission 503 floorstanders. £150 bundle from Richer Sounds. Included a CD player too. No £150 PC speaker set comes close.

10. SchizoFrog

OK... I don't really pay attention to HiFi separates so I have no idea and maybe some of you can help.

The only set I would have previously considered if spending over £150 would have been the Logitech Z-5500's. But I was waiting for them to come back down in price but they have gone up and up in to stupid price ranges now.

My main concern with separates is that the speakers are so large. I know the 5500's are not tiny but they are a lot more discreet and I love the look of them. Can you get mini speakers to go with an amp within the same price range or indeed at all?

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Most bookshelf/stand type speakers would be your best option, have a look at some of the Mission / Tannoy / Mordaunt Short range, they offer surprisingly good sound quality for their price.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

that to me does not look like a £170 set of speakers

13. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Agreed, looks like a £50 budget pack

14. SchizoFrog

Hmm... I think I'll stick with my X-540's for the near future and maybe look in to a set up in the sales early next year if I think I need to.

15. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Is it me or are Antec using a jam jar for the remote control?

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's about as useful for as a jam jar if you're a diabetic ;)

17. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Another X-540 user here. Im looking into a nice 2.1 setup because I dont use the 5.1 like I thought I would. Anyone know of something thats not horribly priced and has a nice woofer? Im no audiophile but I know what crud sounds like.

18. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

richer sounds is your friend

19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hate to sound snobby but they seem to be a cheaper looking but pricier competitor to the Acoustic Solutions Aego Ms which I have and adore.
    [​IMG]

20. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

*Play some silly sounds while an audiophile walses in*

Okay, I'm not gonna talk about my own setup because that's in no way a fair comparison.

But - why the hate of "old-school" speaker wire connections? With those you can connect a decent pair of bookshelf speakers instead of the ridiculous small speakers supplied with the system. That was what I did when I had a Z5400 speaker system. It's a great way to get some feel for real speakers while still staying nice and dry.

A Z5400 with B&O bookshelf speakers sounds surprisingly well :)

Oh and sorry, but a "hefty" and "huge" subwoofer is my dual 15" Cerwin Vega sub - not a 6.5" single-driver OEM 'thing'..

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
Tags: Add Tags