1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD excited about competing with 'Goliath'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Advanced from "800-pound Gorilla" to "Goliath" now have we? :D

3. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

I think most people will say :

'More marketing spiel but still no [Bulldozer] product release or official announcement'

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

is there some other difference or is it only the fact that the GPU in AMD's APU is more powerful then intel's cpu+ integrated gpu?

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

C'mon AMD, the official nickname for Intel is "Chipzilla". I thought we all agreed on this?

6. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

APU == K6-2 3DNow! :p

Surely this news is 13 years old ;)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought Intel beat AMD to APU, Sandy bridge is out with GPU and CPU on the same die.

8. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Liked the picture... lol

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

i want amd to do well, just to show that a small company can compete just as well

oh and to make intel sweat and work even harder on CPUs :)

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i kinda thought the same thing myself but amd's persistence of calling this an "apu" and intel not giving the slightest **** what its called makes me feel as though there is some sort of difference between the 2. from what i've heard, the apu is not just simply a cpu+gpu under the same die, its all one mixed unit. whereas, intel just has a cpu and gpu under 1 die.

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Another name calling and no news on their own performance. All this hype better be worth it AMD or I get to call dibbs on pointing and laughing at them first!

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Bulldozer != APU

Llano is an APU, Bulldozer is an old-fashioned CPU that even fits in AM3 sockets. Why does everyone (including AMD themselves and the whole press) keep muddying the waters?

13. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

The difference is that Intel treats their gpu as, in their words, "another core", while on Zacate the Gpu is half the die. Compare http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/404/182/html/01.jpg.html as well.

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Here's hoping 2011 can be AMD's year =X

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed. I would love Bulldozer to be a really good chip. If you believe the hype it should be a winner.

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I'll have to ignore any more hot air out of AMD's marketing department. Have CPC been given any idea when their NDA testing will start on the new chips? (that is, if you're even allowed to tell us of course :) ).

Even once you've done that there will be the first proper chipset for the new range not just updated 870s and 890s, so it should be busy up to issue 100 as long as there's no more foot-dragging and "summer" doesn't mean the end of September.

17. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

man do people love shitting on AMD... Are people really that stupid? You would think that Intel fans would be praying that AMD puts out a competitive chip instead of acting like they hope they crash and burn. If AMD creates competition it will drive down prices for everyone, so why would you want them to fail?

sheesh...

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agreed :thumb:

I used to only buy AMD cpu's when starting out with custom pc's & I'd cheerfully go back to them if they can offer awesome cpu's, I have hopes for them coming back & also hope they do manage to overtake Intel to keep some good competition going, I'd hate it if only intel made cpu's as we'd be getting new tech on a slow drip with high cost, so come on AMD please kick some ass this time :D:rock::thumb:.

19. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Other than a PIII/933 everything else has been AMD since the K6/2/III/Athlon days round my way. If AMD are going to keep hyping it up then at least give us the brand names, nowt wrong with Phenom III or just make up a new one, because the QL50 in the laptop market...was bloody meaningless to try to compare with Intel's stuff. I just hope it's speculation that they're binning every brand and replacing them with more letters.

That would at least sort me out until whenever the chip/sets would be ready to be released.

20. Allnights

Allnights What's a Dremel?

Same old stuff posted as everywhere else I look.

For what it is worth I have been involved in this technology for over 30 years. I built the first available SLI system before this magazine even published an issue on how tricky it was to do.

I have never been wrong, to date, about a CPUs capability prior to it's launch. I get a feel for these things by actions and words from people on the industry.

Therefore my money is on these AMD bulldozer chips being rather radical in performance.

That previous poster was absolutely correct in stating how intel naysayers love dumping on AMD. It's pointless and certainly not self serving, more like repeatedly attempting to shoot yourself in your own foot! Or maybe you would be happy still using your 786 DDDDDX 25.75 Mhz Chip?

I admire Sandy Bridge and am not afflicted with fanboyism. I hope the two companies co-exist or we would not have these conversations and fantastic hardware.

Sound like a fanboy? Well let me confuse you further by informing you I'm a great admirer of nVidia. Though was disappointed by their lame claims in a recent youtube video which never really materialised. Pitiful.

Well there you go. My money is on everyone getting a surprise in June. I think this will be followed up with another from AMD late in 2011 or early 2012 with the die shrinkage.

I for one am very eager to see this and what intel had in response.

I came close to building an SB rig but was getting BS from Scan so I decided to wait a few months.

Tags: Add Tags