1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony implicates Anonymous over PSN attacks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Could it really be Anonymous? If they were determined not to wound customers then surely they would have done something else.

Unless they actually didn't steal any data whatsoever and are just making it up so that they can take out Anonymous. Or maybe they planted the file themselves so that they can have someone to blame.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

scapegoat for sony's failings

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

It does kind of go against Anon's usual way of doing things, i.e. hitting websites of the company specifically. I mean it's not like PSN is the only thing Sony do?

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hmmmmmm As convenient as walking into a murder scene and the "murderer" having left his name and address on his business card sitting on the coffee table. Annon are DNS kids,I still highly doubt they could do this. Last thing we need tho is more corporate raids aka apple execs busting in your door cause they screwed up and want a convenient scape goat.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Then it must be true. :jawdrop:

No, but seriously, if Obama told me that Anon did it then I'd believe it. :clap:

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Yep - sounds like Sony found a readymade scapegoat to try and extricate itself from its security failings, in the eyes of the US et al.

I mean, I can leave a note with a neighbour saying Barack Obama was here to borrow a cup of sugar. Doesn't mean HE was actually there...

8. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Hardly wounding customers, means people had to find an alternative to sitting on their backsides each and every evening. Job well done.

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Planted a file? - Anonymous says they didn't do it, but Sony is *sure* it was them cause they *found* a file on their ultra-secure unhackable system lol

10. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

If the file wasn't encrypted it's more likely Sony put it there.

All this smoke and mirrors isn't helping me get my Portal 2 on, you Sony f-wits!

11. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Obvious scapegoat is obvious

12. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Hang on, it's one thing hacking a network to get a server to dump its database to you, it's a whole other thing being able to put a file on the system. If it's true it sounds like someone had complete access to the system somehow, which is a massive Fail on Sony's part

13. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Just because one person claims to speak on behalf of all people who participate in various doings of "Anonymous", doesn't mean that all these people are actually being spoken on behalf of.

14. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

^ this, they've admitted PSN/SOE was hacked via. a known defect, just one they didn't know about.

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It might even be a false flag by the real hackers.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This whole Sony thing makes a big mistake implying that Anonymous is a cohesive hacker group. Anyone anonymous is Anonymous.

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

And the American government haven't lied or used people as convenient scape goats in the past? corporations and governments are the only groups I automatically assume every word is a lie until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt otherwise, rather than give the benefit of the doubt.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

There is a risk here from Sony's side:
    If it wasn't Anon (and my gut says it's a convenient scapegoat), then they might just have pulled some rage their way.

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

In Sony's letter to congress they stated that during the investigation files were found named "Anonymous" with "We are legion" in the text body. Sony ALSO goes on to state that the still do not know who was behind the attack.

Since that letter was made public I have yet to see that line awknowledged in Sony's letter. Even Engadget has edited their article to remove the paragraph they quoted from the letter which stated the same, instead leaving the headline that Sony has pointed the finger and called it a day.

Tags: Add Tags