1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom to focus on growing PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

PIRACY!!!

3. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

This sounds like a good thing for the PC, and is more evidence that PC gaming is thriving - though I must say that Capcom don't do much that interests me personally (well, not since my Amiga broke).

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Capcom is interesting in that it's a Japanese company putting things on PC. That is almost unheard of. No one PC games in Japan since most PC games are English only. Even on Steam, if it detects you're in Japan, it doesn't have the option to buy any Capcom game. Granted the only reason they're looking into this is because they want to expand their international markets, but it's still good to see.

5. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Interesting how they will "crack" these developing markets since as mentioned before, there's loads of piracy. No point expecting people to pay 50UKP/80USD for a computer game when their income doesn't have the slack for that. I think a DVDR of a computer game in China was 3-4 RMB last time I checked, which works out about 30-40 UK PENCE.

6. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

God I hope not, we don't need any more games on the PC with always on DRM. That sort of crap has really bitten capcom hard recently with he PSN being down and even legally purchased capcom single player games refusing to run because of their short sighted 'anti piracy' issues

7. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Please take your whine else were...

8. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Another way I think is that a person needs a valid copy of the game to play on-line, and the single player game is like a "demo" to how wonderful the multi-player part could be, Street Fighter would work for this.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The trick to cracking these lucrative markets is games that can't be pirated; namely ones with multiplayer focus. Want to play CS online? Well you need a valid steam account with a key. Ditto many multiplayer games, or popular MMOs/micro-transaction based games.

Will be interesting to see Capcom's approach,considering it's a company based around strong single player titles (which sell well in Japan) first and foremost.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I thought lost planet was pretty good when it released.. first dx10 I saw anyway

11. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Good news. It would be great news if only they'd made more good games in the last decade than just Dead Rising 2 & Resident Evil 4.

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

This seems to be a trend of late, what with MS saying it's been neglected. Maybe PC gaming can have another 'golden era', as it did in the late 90s early 2000s. Before consolification brought dumbed down movement and less complex gameplay .

13. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

PC gaming has been on the rise to popularity again the past year or two. This is just more proof of it.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Probably because the xbox360 and ps3 are nearing the end of their lives. Hell the xbox 360 was no better than the PC I had at the time when it came out, and that was how many years ago now?

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

6 years.

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Games as a service? Count me right out.

I realise that what they're referring to are MMORPGs which, while not my cup of tea, are hugely popular in the areas they want to target. However, I just don't have any impression that they'll be able to do that market any justice, let alone the PC community as a whole.

17. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

So they are focusing on the PC, yet StreetFighter 4 was never patched to fix the mental balancing (unlike the xbox version that was) and have never released the Super version due to piracy?

Hello Mr U-Turn - how are you today?

18. deadstoned

deadstoned What's a Dremel?

Its nice that they support PC Gaming, but I just wish they stopped using GFWL all the time.

19. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

Bet they eat haggis, I do and it's tasty.

Tags: Add Tags