1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair SP2200 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 27 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

They look horrid!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Why do PC speaker companies insist on sitting their subs on padded feet? Give users a choice. I'd want spikes any day of the week!

4. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

@mi1ez.

My kef 5.1 set comes with spikes on the sub, but I never truly understood why.

Whats the advantage/disadvantage of spikes vs rubber feet?

5. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Note to author: the SP2500 is now £180 inc vat at scan.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

With a speaker, you want the enclosure to move as little as possible as it's shape will produce unusual harmonics and fire off in stupid directions if it vibrates.

Essentially you want the carefully designed driver to be doing all of the movement and creating all of the sound.

Spikes can allow speakers to be sat on floorboards through a carpet at best, or they can at least be much better anchored.

Due to the size of the driver and the amount of air it's shifting (you need to shift 4 times the amount of air to maintain the same volume for every octave lower your go in pitch (a halving of frequency)), only woofers and subs suffer from this problem.

The difference is noticable on my Mission floorstanders (which also have a chamber designed for filling with sand, again to prevent the speaker body moving)

Blimey, that was longer than I expected!

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah, the thing is, none of this is going to really make a difference in a £70 set with a 6" bass cone in a housing made from pretty thin chip board.

Also I don't imagine PC-users really wanting their £70 bass to punch holes to their carpet or scratch the desk (keeping in mind how many keep the sub on the desk).

And after all this, if you still really care, you can just buy the spikes separately.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

My thought exactly, tiny sub in a crap enclosure so doesn't need spikes. And sub on the desk, are you kidding? That's just blasphemy, you don't even deserve to have bass if you're gonna do that... :p

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just keep an eye on the "post your computer desk" and you'll find plenty. You'll also find endless 5.1. sets where all the satellites are neatly lined just under the monitor.

The most common limiting factor for computer audio is the user... :)

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"You'll also find endless 5.1. sets where all the satellites are neatly lined just under the monitor. "

huh-oh ...guilty as charged m'lud. No further questions.

11. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

At 38.99 on TWO over at OcUK, this review has swayed me. I can't afford the sp2500s, so these will do :)

12. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

£38.66 on Scan with free delivery (OCUK might be that too, never used them).

Tags: Add Tags