1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack outlines vision for a new Quake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The single player game of Quake was undoubetdly weird in presentation, but the second-to-second gameplay was very well developed, and that's why it became a multiplayer hit.

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

yes please, I loved romping around in the castles and the Lovecraftian elements!

the level were you emerge from a "well" into a graveyard and then zombies rise out of the ground and attack you was brilliant!

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've had a PC since '98 and i've still not played any of the Quake games. A demo of Q2 and Q3 are as far as i've gone.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Personally, I think that's taking a step back that isn't necessary. I'm glad that games have moved on from the simple gameplay of the original games like Doom and Quake. I like to fire up Painkiller or Serious Sam once in a while, but it's FPSs like FEAR and Crysis that I truly enjoy.

I imagine that there will be many who'll think the opposite however and will be glad to return to the old school, citing reasons such as 'a more pure experience'.

6. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Prefer Q2 myself but Q4 was a pretty mediocre continuation of that story so going back to the original might produce something more interesting.

7. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Playing Quake over dial up was my first online experience. One of my favourite games ever! I'd be happy enough to have a remake in the new engine tbh.

8. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

I'd fully support this move - I didn't mind Quake II and 4, but they lacked the weird and original horror-esque atmosphere of the original (and severely underrated, IMHO) Quake game, even if it was overly brown. The Strogg storyline was always boring for me, and I'm liking the idea of unleashing a super nail gun on properly shaded shamblers and vores.

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

By who?

Five year olds?

10. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

1996... so in my case 9 year olds :p

Nail Gun Cheesecake!

11. rinseout

rinseout What's a Dremel?

I worked in an internet cafe and we had a big party for the launch of Quake after getting quite excited playing the demo for ages. Then when we got some 3dfx cards to evaluate and GLQuake, damn!
    The glow around those rockets! I got pretty good at Quake, so much so that my boss banned me from playing the customers due to how many I put off by pwnage. I wish I had the time to spend with FPSs now as my skills are somewhat diminished without 12 hours a day to practice/work...

12. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I was 8... yes so that'll work :D

Wow that'd be pretty cool. As long as they give me that kick-ass rocket launcher again I'd be happy.

13. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I certainly have rose tinted memories of Quake.

I miss the days when Id stood for real innovation in the gaming industry... Carmack still commands a great deal of reverence from me and always struck me as a guy who really knew what he was doing.

I don't see how a reboot could be done well, tbh. That ship has sailed -- I'd rather no reboot at all than another game from the increasingly indistinct FPS factory.

14. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

It may be just perception, but Carmack seems to throwing himself back into games development in a big way , and that has got to be a good thing. Many thought he was only interested in his space rocket propulsion projects.

Quake 4 was developed by Raven iirc as was Wolfenstein(2009). I think it's fair to say neither title did id's reputation much good. Hopefully their own in house built titles will restore id's rep to where it should be.

15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Early twenties for me.

Fond memories of the nailgun, gibbage galore and that soundtrack! :rock:

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"Quake is often considered the first true FPS."

You're really gonna have to justify that quote before teh flame trolls come out!

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I gave up expecting good games from ID after Doom 3, and I've been proved right time and time again.

18. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

yep that soundtrack by Trent Reznor was weird as the whole game, anyway I loved it, actually had to bought entire new HW to play th game

19. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Quake was the first Full 3D FPS with mouselook and multiplayer.

The Terminator: Future Shock was full 3D and had mouselook, but no multiplayer, and no-one played it, or has even heard of it, so his statement stands as factually correct :)

20. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Wolfenstein could be the first?

Quake was the best though.

Hmmm Q3 RA.

Tags: Add Tags