1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Shadows of the Damned Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Sometimes I wonder who comes up with these protagonists names... Garcia Hotspur??! Seriously...

3. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Probably use one of those online name generators.. About the same quality.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Should I play this or Duke Nukem Forever?

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

If you're choosing between Xbox versions, play this. If you're choosing between this and the PC version of Duke, play Duke.

6. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Wish bitty would only review games that are released on pc or multiplatform including pc. Looking forward to your review of Alice: Madness Returns.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I agree, why on earth do you review console games when this is essentially a PC website devoted to custom builds and the odd bit of modding?

8. CardJoe

As I've said numerous times we don't discriminate by platform, because our readers don't. We know that the average Custom and Bit reader has a PC and a console and will game on both. The thing that informs them is 'Is the game any good?' and 'Which platform is it better on?'

So, as we have always done for the last five years, we look at games across all platforms that we think are interesting to our readers and we review them on what the publisher considers the primary platform to be. If our readers are as interested in Ocarina of Time as they are in System Shock, why should we only look at one of those?

9. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

How about prioritising games that are on all platforms, you review so few games pick the ones that will appeal to the broadest audience. Alice has bin out since the 17th, is multiplatform and is probably worth reviewing!

10. CardJoe

Agreed, but: most of the reviews of Alice were based on a 5-hour review event held at night in London. We generally don't like to review games from events such as this (they aren't representative of gaming, are a PITA for our social lives and also can skew results when the PRs are circling). So, we waited until we were able to get review code - which was this morning. The review is now underway.

To be fair, yes, we could have gone out and bought the game on the 17th, but it was a case of not having the manpower to work on it until now anyway. There's more going on behind the scenes than just an endless grind through games and words, especially when the deputy editor is on his six-weeks leave for having been at Dennis for 5 years and two other members of staff have only recently returned from PSU testing in Taiwan!

11. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

;-)

Joe what did u do to anger the gods?? everyone else is on party time! If I were in your shoes I'd be well peeved, everyone else is off travelling the world and they make you stay behind with a lousy xbox controller and a box of thumb tacs to pin their post cards to the noticeboard!

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Perhaps you are right, you do probably have more access to info about reader demographics than I do :D

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I think what we (and bit-gamer) really need is more staff helping you out with the games side of things. I'm preaching to the choir in saying that, I know it's stating the obvious; but is there any chance of it happening any time soon? Any rumblings of new games writers coming in to help?
    I think it would really help that side of the site come into its own by improving the flow of content.

Can't you drag Baz in for more games reviews? :D

14. CardJoe

Maybe in the future. At the moment, with Clive out on his 5-year sabbatical for the next six weeks, Harry is buried in work of his own as he manages all the hardware content!

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

didn't you know? joe had himself cloned in order to cope with all the work

16. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

This sounds nice, but it's funny that the opening paragraph of the review is full of console bashing. What I want to know is why you called it a Gears clone when it doesn't even have a cover mechanic.

I thought the whole review came off sounding pretty biased, and don't think you should bother with console games if you can't stand them anyway.

17. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Right ok. I don't know if it's just me but judging from the comments the majority of readers seem to agree that this website is mostly based around PCs and modding, with consoles as an afterthought.

Again, my personal opinion is that Bit-Tech has been concentrating on consoles a bit much, which brings this;

Lol. The review conclusions always seems to be the same; is or would be better on PC.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It's because it is true. Most games are (or would be) better on pc. Not all, granted, but most.

19. CardJoe

I don't think platform comes into it at all for this game. It's problem is that it's bland and dull, not that it's uncontrollable on console. In fact, since it was designed exclusively for consoles and with those controllers and parameters in mind, I don't think it would be better on PC.

It's not as simple as 'Well, if I could use a keyboard then this game would be better', because the fact is that if it were portedPC then you'd like claim it was consolified crap. The platform doesn't determine the quality of the product and anyone who thinks it does is taking a simplistic view of the market.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Providing a game is set up for the pc correctly it will almost always be better than it would be on console. More button options, finer control, higher res and more graphical goodies. That's all I meant. I know the platform a game is on doesn't determine the quality.

And I know some games simply wouldn't work on a pc as well, such as the more social games. A pc is not practical to sit around with your mates, while a console is perfect for that.

Tags: Add Tags