1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Unfinished version of Gears of War 3 leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Blood PC gamers and their pirating ways!

Wait, what?

Pete J likes this.
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thank you for making me cough tea all over my monitor laughin, now come clean it up xD

4. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I bet the press print it as 'Game stolen by only group we're aware of - Lulzsec' ;)

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Quoted again just because I can!

Now that Epic have seen that piracy is just as rife on the Xbox, can we have a PC version please?

6. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

This is just too delicious. :D

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I think the first thing they need to ask is, "Why did someone who works for us leak it? Are we treating our developers that badly, or is it simply someone doing it 'because they can'?"

Honestly, it's a total farce the way PC gamers get pilloried, when pre-release leaks are entirely down to the developer/publisher/distribution chain. And given how early this leak has happened, Epic has no one to blame but themselves.

(Not saying PC gamers are completely innocent - after all, those that choose to download it haven't been forced to. Having said that, in the culture we live in now, no one ever, ever stands up and says, "Yeah, it was my fault." - it's always "It wasn't me, it was him/her/it!" so Epic obviously aren't going to entertain the idea that they were at fault for the leak, it'll probably be put down to 'hackers' after they find an "unauthorised entry into our servers".)

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Falls on deaf ears, reality: crap pc games seem amazing to console gamers. :p

(I own a Gamecube so don't hate, Zelda was a gem)

9. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Loving the song in the trailer : )

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What was it, footage or actual code? The first paragraph says it's an "unfinished build", then the next says that it was footage (as in, video footage) that appeared online. Which was it? If it was code, does it require special development hardware/software to compile or run, or will any modded console do?

QFT. About the last time I can remember that an eager fan actually managed to actively break in and download code was the Half-Life 2 "leak". It's usually someone within the company that's at fault for a leak.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I heard it would need a developer console to run on.

12. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

ha bloody ha says a pc gamer

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I used to love Epic. I grew up playing Jazz Jackrabbit and Unreal. Those games were a large part of my childhood and a large part of forming my tastes as a gamer. People like CliffyB and Tim Sweeney were amongst those iconic figures I looked up to as a youngster with a gaming obsession and an interest in games development.

..But as someone who has felt somewhat betrayed by Epic in recent years; as someone who feels that Epic is no longer the company it used to be; I have to admit to feeling the same kind of schadenfreude as others over this.

This will mean nothing for PC games, as much as we might like to think of it as some kind of "Hah! See, Epic? SEE?!" - It just means they'll tighten up their internal security; but I'm going to enjoy this schadenfreude.
    Yes I am.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  14. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

The code was leaked and then someone made footage of it in action. Reading millions of lines of code wouldn't do much good on its own.

15. borals

borals What's a Dremel?

Maybe it was ICE-T ........... :O

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

EPIC made so many **** games back on the PC. Some of their games were so bad no one remembers them. I tried to like the unreal games but never liked them truly. The one good thing they did was leave PC gamers with the Unreal UDK engine which means many games developers more creative than EPIC are using it to produce for PC.

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Bet they'll blame it on the PC still..

"PC's are to blame, they are what is needed to download this. We won't be bringing it to PC because of this, piracy is just too rife on PC."

Hopefully though, they'll see that consoles are actually the root of all evil and start bringing the games to PC, love GoW2 on Xbox.

18. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

They'll probably blame it on PC gamers so desperate to play their XBox only game that they jumped ship to the XBox and brought their evil pirate ways with them.

Bloody Epic, I wish I didn't enjoy GoW so much, I hate myself, I really do...

Tags: Add Tags