1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dennis launches new iPad magazine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

cue the Android backlash....

3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Just out of interest can you buy the customPC mag on ipad as like an ebook?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i don't like the way this is heading, why are electronic contents costing so much? when apps such as Flipboard can make any website feed feel like a magazine index page and experience feel like reading a magazine?

Flipboard -> bit-tech.net twitter feed -> job done.

i have tried a few free magazines on my ipad, sorry, experience is totally different, worse due to the smaller screen compared to a full sized (pre-CPC redesign) magazine, text are harder to read.

please consider a free-to-read magazine, but instead use advertisement? clickable ads? iAd? don't mind ads, just don't want to pay for an inferior magazine experience.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Yes you can! :jawdrop:You can buy issues of Custom PC via http://gb.zinio.com/ - There's a Zinio viewer app for Android, iPhone and iPad.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Naysayers beware. The future IS interactive reading. Imagine fantasy books where the illustrated dragon comes to life at the turn of a page. Imagine videos embedded next to their descriptions. etc etc etc.

But then again, iPads will never take off ... touchscreen tech is a waste of R&D budgets ... oh ... erm ...

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Just to add to Baz's post above, you can also buy a native iOS copy of Custom PC on the itunes store here.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is it only £1.19 for the full issue of CustomPC? Is that right! Wow, now I want an iPad!

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Is there really a population of iPads out there that is worth the development costs for such a service.

Sorry to sound sceptical, i am yet to come across anyone who has one and uses it for anything other than smacking a cat.

10. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

our london office is full of them, at least half the staff have them and some try their hardest to do everything on them, those ones dont even start their computer most days (emails calendar documents etc nothing too demanding)

11. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I work in a college, and a hell of alot of staff members have them.

Remember, iPads are most useful in a buisness enviroment. (My opinion on them)

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

No. My office has a few. People bring them to meetings WITH their laptops. Idiots. Publishers are doing it because people aren't buying print any more. They don't want to lose revenue, so they use gimmicks like iPad versions to raise the money they're missing out on. Unfortunately, for the non Jobs-loving masses, or what's left of them, "websites" and the free-internet are more than enough, and you can view those on just about anything.

"Check out my £600 e-magazine reader and notepad". *whistles sarcastically*

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Just downloaded it, didn't find too much useful content that I didn't already know but I can imagine it being great for those less technically inclined. I also liked the fact that it uses the same software as the Wired magazine app, which is pretty lovely to use.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The iPad? Yeah...I agree :p

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

How is it difficult to see that iPads and laptops/desktops serve different purposes? I use my PC for productivity and more intensive tasks as well as more general browsing, but my iPad is great for casually perusing news stories in bed or sticking in the bag and taking pretty much anywhere. It's so nice to have all my magazines, books, a dozen games and full-screen internet access with me on tap when at work or on a train instead of having to pack half a dozen things into my bag to keep me occupied.

Of course, to people like you anyone who wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times are just Apple shills who haven't heard of netbooks, right?

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Wrong, but spoken like a true fan-boy. Full marks.

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

What gives you the impression I'm a fanboy? You seem to have answered my question with by confirming it :eyebrow:

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Because not everyone who "wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times" wants to own a bloody iPad.

There are a multitude of non-Apple smartphones, tablets and netbooks that are out there and the inevitable response of the fan-boy to any sort of suggestion that somebody might want to do something "streamlined" is to make the assumption that the solution to the problem is an Apple one.

Only the Apple fan base seems quite content to spend unnecessary money on over-priced goods (be it the hardware itself, or e-magazines, or pointless apps) when everyone else in the world knows you can get exactly the same thing for free, or for less, elsewhere and be just as happy. Sure, they don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that Steve Jobs is a little richer, but they all cope.

A case in point. On Tuesday I had a debate in my office with a colleague who was telling me the pure genius that was "being able to listen to his music absolutely anywhere because a new Apple service in 'the cloud' lets him listen to his music from all of his devices - and for only £25 a year!". The puzzled looks on the faces of myself and my colleagues as we explained that everyone else has been able to do that, for free, for years and years were priceless.

So, back to the original point. The assumption that "the apple way is the only way" makes on a fan-boy. Perhaps I judged you too quickly :)

19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Too quickly is about right, given that the iPad is the first and only Apple product I've ever owned.

My phone? A Palm Pre, because it was better than the iPhone 3G when it came out. My MP3 player? A Zune, because I like the Zune Pass and think it's a superior MP3 player the the iPod. I've also owned a Windows based HP convertible laptop/tablet years before the iPad came out and they don't really compare. I never denied that there are better alternatives to Apple's offerings, although as far as the tablet space is concerned there aren't really yet, but I took issue with you saying that essentially anyone who buys into tablet computing is an idiot with too much money.

Given that the only products which come close to the iPad (Asus Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, HP Touchpad) are all the same price, there's no basis to claim the old Apple Tax either. I also don't see where you're coming from with the whole pointless apps and wasting money on emagazines point? I save a fortune on books using the Kindle app, and the 59p I spent on the Countdown game has kept me and the girlfriend occupied for what must be hours now (read into that what you will).

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Because it provides a ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience. :confused:
    You might find that quite a few people enjoy iOS and the iPad as a piece of hardware, there are quite a few areas where comparisons aren't black and white. Afterall, millions of people own iPads and are the majority of tablet owners overall. I guess those several million people are all fanboys, eh? Here's a shocking concept: different people have different wants and needs in a product. In the tablet market specifically the iPad is really quite a good offering.

Now, whether tablets are really all that useful is a totally different discussion...
    For some reason I highly doubt you and your colleague are talking about comparable services. To be clear, iCloud is a remote storage tool, files may be stored in "the cloud", aka a remote storage center, and accessed remotely by various devices, in this case Apple products and software. You'd be hard pressed to find many cloud storage services which offer large amounts of storage for free, Apple isn't alone in charging a fee and I believe also offer a free package with less storage. Now, whether or not he has any real use for cloud based storage is another question. If he's just using it to play music on his desktop and iPad/Phone/Pod he's likely wasting his money as it's very simple to download your music onto each device. The advantage of cloud storage is being able to access his files from a location/device which couldn't feasibly have the files downloaded onto it.

I swear some people just about have a nervous breakdown the moment a different person trying to happily live their lives finds a use for an Apple product.

Tags: Add Tags