1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam not listed in Battlefield 3 release plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Providing they don't do a BF2 and host the patches on servers that can only provide 100KB/s then it might be alright. I won't be downloading the game from Origin though.

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Would be a shame if it wasnt directly compatable with steam.
    It wotn stop me from buying it though, not a chance :p

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Going to be buying this on disc- most likely from amazon.
    As for origin, i just couldnt trust keeping a games catalog on it....it feels like it may dissapear too easily, i'll just buy the games for cheaper and get real copies!

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Translation: We want to keep 100% of the revenue from the inevitable DLC.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Another game to buy later on at budget prices, then.

7. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Seeing as all my gamer friends use Steam I'm starting to wonder if I can be bothered to part with my cash. I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".

8. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

they can keep 100% of the money they get from me for any DLC.
    whats 100% of nothing again ?

9. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

butttt, its our choice to use steam? because it makes the gaming experience better by patching as soon as it becomes available, rather than launching the game then patching or trying to join a multiplayer game and finding out you have an old version and having to go Google and download on some horribly slow servers...

10. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I only buy from steam these days (cba having 10+ accounts, rather have them all in one place ala steam) so thats a one lost sale at least

11. severard600

severard600 What's a Dremel?

Umm. Wrong

It is what they said. They want to be a able to push through the patches themselves when they want. This is what happened with Crysis 2. The DirectX 11 patch came out and for whatever reason Steam was not sufficient to get this patch though. In this case it seems like EA are actually making sure that gamers get the best experience with their games.

12. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

If EA's game plan this year is to alienate as many of there customers as possible, then there doing a darn good job at the moment.

13. severard600

severard600 What's a Dremel?

Wrong. It is what they said. They want to push patches when they want. This happended with Crysis 2. When the DirectX 11 patch was brought out for whatever reason Steam was not sufficient to push these patches. In response Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam. Tbh, EA is just making sure gamers have the best possible experience with their games by efficiently pushing patches as soon as they are available. This however does not mean that I don't like Steam or love EA or anything. This is a non-biased view

14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

****ing, worthless, *****. If they think I am about to sign up for their horseshit 'Origin' service they can stick their head up their ass and think again. **** EA.

It's a real shame a game made by DICE that looks like it'll be this good is going to be ****ing raped by EA before it even gets out the door. First the day-one DLC crap, and now this. I'm done. Who the hell is the guy running the show there? Bobby Kotick's twin brother?

15. brokenthinker

brokenthinker What's a Dremel?

'Seeing as all my gamer friends use Steam I'm starting to wonder if I can be bothered to part with my cash. I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".'

Really? That's all that it would take to put you off of this great PC game? who gives a toss, this game will be immense where ever or whoever you get it from. From a real PC gaming fan.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's only a different download service, you can still link the shortcut back to your steam account. no biggie IMHO.

17. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

That must mean I'm not a 'real PC gaming fan' ... wow, ok. Thanks for your input 'real PC gaming fan'.

:thumb:

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

EA Origin have yet to discount the 'Vietnam dlc.

It seems to me this will turn out be more an exercise in maintaining first day prices as opposed to giving gamers a more 'full filling' experience.

19. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I probably wasn't going to buy this anyway because Red Orchestra 2 is out 2 months earlier and us real men and women will be playing that but this would certainly put me off getting it later when the price comes down.

Obviously Dice want to do a lot of DLC selling on this one as they couldn't do so easily before without a real central platform like Steam or EADM because both were optional. This time with Origin they have the chance to milk it for every penny and that is one of the major off putting things for me. Well that and Dice saying I and everyone else is far too stupid to work their tool kit.

People really need to face facts that although it's being demoed on the PC it's in it's heart a console experience. The DLC the lack of mods the pre order exclusives. The only reason they are doing any pimping of the PC version is to channel a lot of people onto Origin in a futile and idiotic (given origins lack of content and features) attempt to challenge Valve.

Personally I don't care which download service it's coming out on because I haven't been hit by the hype train. It takes more than ooohing and ahhhing at shiny graphics to make me desire a game. I shall be going with a game that doesn't need to put ability to go prone, dedicated servers and mouse support on the box as it's just expected with a PC game.

I see this losing EA a lot of customers because people are comfy with Steam and given how Origin feels like a cheap copy of Steam with no extra features. People will get irritated at seeing a game they have to create another account with and build another friends list for and just another program that is prone to failing. I say good luck to EA but I think this will just blow up and not work as they wanted, people will resent it and it will just die and then Steam will win again. I wouldn't mind some competition for Steam but at this point it's too late they have too large a control on the market and are light years ahead in features and customer interaction and selling techniques. The house always wins.

20. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Actually if it's locked into Origin and you can't run the exe independently then you won't be able to do that.

Tags: Add Tags