1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Tanks Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wargaming should also be praised for their decision to leave tank skinning available to players without restriction - there are some wonderful mods out there bringing authentic skins (and far more mad ideas) into the game, which looks great against a normal sea of green and grey.

3. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I like the idea that the grind is actually part of the gameplay and not the usual -'go here, pick up items/kill 10 rats and come back again', repeat ad infinitum...

This looks liek it would be really fun to play with a load of mates - shame my internet speeds are stuck in the stone age...

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I find it ironic that I started this game three days before this review was up.

I have to say, though; it's a wonderful little game, if a little infuriating at the start, when some Tier II light tanks are shrugging off the shells from your little starter tank, but it quickly gets far more interesting once you progress onto a chosen tank-type.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This game looks fun, but smacks of the type of game I'd join, only to find that all the people playing had put in 100s of hours of practice and I'd get continually annihilated. What's it like for beginners?

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I only play in small bursts but I have a blast (pun intended) every time I play.

7. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

It is pretty easy going as the first two tier are reasonably friendly. You will get killed a lot during this though whilst you get used to the tanks.

Unfortunately there are sub-classes within class which take a while to get used to such as a tier 7 Tiger is a support heavy whereas a tier 7 T29 is an assault heavy.

It is really good once you get into it but you will also without doubt have 'rage quit' moments

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I find it interesting that you only started this game three days before the review and still find it ironic. This game has been out for several months already, not counting the 9-month beta, though it's been updated a couple of times since (patches for extra tanks, maps, hotfixes, etc.). In fact, the game-loader and website recently celebrated WoT's 1st birthday.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/04/12/world-of-tanks-released/1

9. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I had no idea this was free to play :blush:. Will have to give this a try!

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Fantastic game, very very addictive, unfortunately there's a huge amount of smack talk and bitching that goes on in the chat box, some of the worst I've seen, everybody will get called a called a noob no matter what tier tank your in at some point and god help anyone in artillery or a gold purchased tank no matter how good it is.
    If you can ignore the constant bitching it's a fantastic game.
    Surprised the review took this long to come out.

@ Parge
    it's easy on beginners you only fight tanks in a similar tier around you - so tier 1 tank will fight mostly tier 1 tanks with 1 or 2 tier 2 thrown in, low end matches are quite well balanced like that.

11. salesman

salesman What's a Dremel?

That would be a fun quest to kills rats with a tank.

12. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I would highly recomend this game to anyone.

With regards to random battles (the most common game; click and start) there is a very slow learning curve to start which becomes very sharp quite quickly and levels out a little. At the top tiers you will not face higher placed tanks but it is pretty intense. For clanwars you do need the 100s of hours and the very top tanks. You can stay at the lower tiers for very even battles.

There is an option to form plattons of upto three players to join a battle together. With good communication this is where the game really shines. Dictating the course of a battle with friends in a well oiled team is a real rush.

Clanwars and company battles are the same but require many more people. This is in my opinion even better but its difficult to get enough people. I'm always up for a game so pm me here or in game!

You have a whole 7 tiers of this to get through!

13. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

A lot of this is learning the style of tanks, good and bad points. For example, the Tiger-II has almost invulnerable frontal armor but is quite weak at the sides and rear suiting its role as a support heavy.

A lot of my early frustration was from believing that I should be able to damage all tanks from the front or shooting anywhere and expecting it to penetrate!

To me the most important thing is how the team maneuvers rather than relying purely on fire power or the biggest tanks!

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Is it fully out of beta now?

15. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Objection!:hehe:

(It is out of beta but its changing still. Every update seems to bring more maps and soon they will be selling camo skins which have an effect on your visibility. More tanks are coming too although I am not so sure about the jap tree tbh).

16. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

*Goes to redownload*

17. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa What's a Dremel?

If my Steam backlog wasn't already 100 games deep, I would definitely be checking this out because as a U.S. military veteran I love this type of subject matter and as a gamer this looks like a brilliant combination of action, strategy/tactics, and multiplayer.

18. dannyjh69

dannyjh69 What's a Dremel?

Fantastic game, been playing for about a month now and already my relationship with the girlfriend is suffering massively.

The matching is uneven at times, and there is nothing more frustrating that getting killed with one shot from a tank that you cant even see.

This said, it's got me coming back time and time again. I refuse to give up until i have leveled up to a T32 or a jagpanther so i can take my revenge on those camo'd campers shooting me from miles out.

Would recommend to anyone.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Finally bothered to download and install the game, lets see if it's actually any good.

20. Risky

Risky Modder

Thats for reminding me why I avoid online gaming (other than Hattrick). I play games to relax and I don't think foul mouthed 10yos would help that!

Tags: Add Tags