1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2142 Demo - Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Djpuk, 6 Oct 2006.

1. CooperXS

CooperXS What's a Dremel?

Have to agree about the map EA used in Demo. Could certainly pick something more eye-candy. Still it was very fun to play...well...considering it was 1st time I ever played BF2 :D

2. steelmartin

steelmartin What's a Dremel?

If you have an Audigy card, notice that it's back in the supported list. They apparently misspelt it earlier, and forgot two letters; it's the Audigy LS that's not supported.

Don't miss the new Audigy drivers with OpenAL 1.1 support, released Oct 9!

/m

Last edited: 11 Oct 2006
  3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well so far I've enjoyed the game but I do have a few rather lare issues, most servers don't work for me, I'll jion, play for 5 seconds then end up on the desktop. But there is a way round this, My BF2 clan has one of the best servers I've seen, "Rackage" servers, I've never ever crashed on a 2142 rackage server, I get pings of 10-14 but I still don't understand, it seems there are many server side issues too :sigh:

But as for general gameplay, I love the combat gunships and the idea of all these pods is brilliant.Though I'm not to keen on the mechs, they just seem so slow...

Also do you think we can post our buddy names in here(/in a new thread) I'm: ArchAngel_

-Fr4nk

4. Hack'n'Slash

Hack'n'Slash Minimodder

It's not just you, mate. In BF'42, your bullets hit where you aimed (barring recoil & lag), BF2 introduced the dreaded "cone of fire" which meant even short, aimed bursts were unpredictable. It seems they've (in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: ) taken this a step further in 2142 and have adopted the "spray & pray console kiddie stylee" of aiming. So much for having an advantage due to the fact you have decent aim; it's all been reduced to luck. :blah:

How long until QW:ET?

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Off topic here, but is it worth me picking up BF1942? I really enjoy BF2 and most WWII shooters and I've heard there are still people playing it.

Back on topic, after a bit of thinking I've decided I've got better things to waste my money on than 2142.

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

definate no. The last time i checked it, its a pretty much dead game unless it was just a dry period? but i recall hardly any players online....dont bother i think! :worried:

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I think the main reason they have that giant map in the demo is so that they could stick all of the vehicles in it for people to try out.

My absolute biggest gripe about the game so far:

Why, 150 years into the future, does technology allow for things like hovercopters, laser guns, big, walking battle mechs, orbital sattelite artillery, personal infantry force fields, Active Camo that makes you invisible and enormous flying space fortresses, yet THEY CAN'T MAKE A FREAKING MACHINE GUN THAT DOESN'T OVERHEAT AFTER 4 SECONDS OF SUSTAINED FIRE?????

Seriously. I understand game balance. But this is so much of a concept breaking, piss poor design choice. Especially since the dual gattling guns in the copters and walkers overheat SO fast. Plus, the Walkers are almost USELESS against tanks. Their primary fire mode is only good against light armor and infantry, and the secondary fire missiles ARE COMPLETELY UNGUIDED AND GO FLYING AROUND AIMLESSLY!

So WHY can future armies have all of this high tech crap, but they still can't make guns that don't overheat or missiles that fly straight? ESPECIALLY since the Walkers are presumably those armies cream of the crop, super high tech King of battle.

Balance the game, Dice, but do it in a smart way. It's like the game has no solid direction or theme. Is it high tech? If yes, then machine guns like that shouldn't overheat so quickly. Gattling guns loaded on todays attack planes and helicopters can withstand several minutes of sustained fire. 150 years from now....it should be better.

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i understand that what your saying and i agree but from i try to look at it from a games balance perspective;

If the guns didnt overheat, they would just be countless sprays of bullets everywhere and the skill would be allot reduced. Since they overheat, its the person thats most accurate with their hits before it overheats thats successful - it means players have to rely more on their reaction and skill.

Also you can counter the problem by firing short bursts instead of just holding the trigger although you gotta be more accurate.
    When defending or attacking a Titan, the support class is the absolute best, firing short bursts means you never run outta fire power and keep a constant flow of bullets going.

I think its fine personally although theres other areas of the game i would rather moan about.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I havn't played it, but I found the BF2 support weapons gimped also and it is stupid.

Support weapons like the SAW aren't called the SAW for no reason. They should always be lethal, a thing every infantry man is scared of and that teams have to work together against in order to defeat. The number of users of support weapons should be limited though, that or the speed of the support gunner should be 50% or so of an assault troop. Much like a Sniper should have a lazer accurate gun and be safe so long as he knows how to stay hidden and how to move well, a support gunner should have something that cuts people in half and makes entire teams hit the dirt, but forces people to flank and kill.

"Balancing" in the way DICE do it seems to be trying to make every class equal in firepower terms and that shouldn't be the case. But then, I hated BF2 because the weapons were all stupidly inaccurate. I miss DC :(

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

They could limit the ammo capacity and increase the damage of the support weapons. That way you could shoot for a long time, still put out the same amount of damage, but have to reload sooner.

Another gripe, this time technical. When on the titan, if it is moving across the battlefield you constatly get this flicker glitch thing, like your body is standing still, and then suddenly snapping forward to keep up with the titan. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

11. Springs

Springs Boing boing

its a shame you dont carry enough ammo to destroy the titan... u can usally destroy 2 terminals maybe 3 before you run out of ammo...

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i know exactly what your talking about, thats just bad coding i think from the developers and they couldnt be bothered to fix it.

The titan needs more work, the explosion happens too soon and theres not enough time to bail and admire the destruction.

About running out of ammo, aslong as your "support" your fine. That and assault are the "must have" classes when assaulting the titan as thats needed for healing and ammo.

Although remember, theres loads more weapons in the full game including mines i think? so it should be fine i hope!

Tags: