1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No new Nvidia GPU this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Aug 2011
    CardJoe likes this.
  3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am upgrading when Sandy Bridge E comes out and if they don't have PCI-E 3.0 card's out by then, but the board's can support it then fine I don't mind.

I want better card's but really the only game that will tax them is going to be Battlefield 3 because all the rest are just simply put Console trash so even now, my current pc will cope with Battlefield 3 with no problem's but nothing out there at the moment even stresses it.

I mean Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch etc at 1920x1080 with maximum detail setting's I am still hitting well over 100fps.

Basically put it doesn't matter whether they release it this year, next year or the year after because 99.99% of games are developed for the consoles and the only thing possibly that could use it better is none gaming software like Badaboom and F@H etc and even just for them it's not that important.

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

What's powering your system? Sellerfield?!

I'm of course going to assume that with the texture pack as well yes?

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yes it is lol

Yeah I have the texture pack as well.

I am running a Core I7 2600k @ 4.8ghz and 2x GTX 580's Overclocked aswell to 950mhz for the core, can't remember the mem speed of the card's etc are as I am at work.

But yeah it doesn't struggle with any game out there, but I want the Sandy Bridge E because of video converting etc otherwise I wouldn't bother as it won't make much difference for gaming.

6. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

You think they would build the delay time into their roadmap. At least that way if it came out with little delay it would take AMD by surprise. I'll just have to leave my cash in the bank a little longer then I guess!

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Sellafield isnt a generator it reprocesses ...I'll get mi coat ..

8. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

2 Points:

Your moaning because nothing taxes your computer, yet your computer represents 0.00001% of the market since it is pretty much the highest spec you can currently get.. Why do you think game developers don't produce games/spend large amounts of money implementing features that would bring this setup to its knees :)?

Secondly, why are you only gaming at 1080p if you have that setup!? Surely you should invest in a higher resolution monitor if you have that sort of money to spend on hardware :) You might find it taxes it a little more then :)

9. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Hit the nail on the head really. I have Radeon 5870's in Crossfire with an i7 930 setup gaming at 1920 x 1080, and nothing really taxes it either tbh. Although I haven't played Crysis 2 - Can't imagine there'd be a problem.

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

AMD's performance should not suffer to any noticeable degree by making their next gen GPUs on the first-available process from TSMC. The only real limitation should be the switching speeds of the transistors, which should not affect AMD unless they move to a similar design to NVIDIA's where the shaders are run at twice the clock of the rest of the chip.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I blame consoles
    Absolutely no basis to it what so ever, I just do.
    Thank you, goodbye.

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Interesting that they say the new series will only be going into production in 2011 - looks like it we won't be seeing new cards for at least 6-8 months.

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Not really wasted if the refresh is minor, say speed bump, memory clock bump.

They used to call it Windscale :)

Chucklez

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Hoped Keppler would put some pressure on the prices
    hmmm, think I'll settle for a GTX560Ti as a "filler card" then.
    Was going for the 570, but the price is just too high for not enough performance gain. (same as the 6970)

15. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

AMD actually taped out first sample of Southern Isles GPU(which features new SIMD architecture) back in february and they're currently polishing its design. And they have plenty of time to do that, nVidia taped out first sample of Keppler just a few weeks ago. If those rumours are correct than HD7000 series should be ready for mass production in Q3 or Q4 this year and it'll be manufactured by both - TSMC and GloFo on 28nm. We'll definitely see new AMD gpus this year while nVidia will come at first half of 2012.

I'm definitely looking forward to replace my good ol' 4770 with some new 28nm power efficient mid-range GPU...

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

The fact is that in the last two years or so the consolification of games, porting to PC and the lag of having any innovative new games that bring current hardware to a crawling state.

Add the fact that the whole gaming business is changed the last couple of years, not to mention the greedy bank managers causing a worldwide crysis that had and still has a great impact on consumers worldwide.

Also add, that we do not have the 'need' for a more powerful graphics card. For example; I can play all current games with my quadcore AMD and GTX460 in full HD with all options high. (for example crysis2 with dx11 and HQ texture patches) and I do not think this will change in the near future.

So it probably is a wise decisions to delay new cards.

17. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Most of this is right, but I'm going to point out again that it's pretty much impossible to spin the same designs at both TSMC and GF due to the drastically different processes/design rules, the standard cell libraries are completely different. GF will run CPUs and all future Fusion parts, while TSMC will only run GPUs (and the Brazos line on 40nm)

I'm pretty optimistic about Tahiti, the high end Southern Island chip. It should be a nice Christmas present. Dunno when the midrange cards will be out.

18. DbD

DbD Minimodder

If the hold up is TMSC, which is likely as these are the first 28nm parts which is a huge shift from 40nm, then it'll be a problem for AMD as much as nvidia. Traditionally AMD would be better off as they have smaller chips which are easier to make, but if they are trying to add gpu compute like nvidia did for fermi then who knows?

19. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I know we like games here, but 'crysis' is a game and 'crisis' is a moment in time where an important decision needs to be made :p

Pushing graphical fidelity will only make games more and more expensive to make, and frankly I think most people on this planet would like not to have to upgrade their system once a year just to play games at max settings. Better gameplay, not better graphics is what we should be looking for.

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Peoples opinion on this will differ entirely on what their current situation is.

For example if you've skipped Fermi all together I could understand why you'd be disappointed.

My current setup is a 965 Extreme (bloomfield) and 580GTXs in SLi. More then enough power for all the titles scheduled to be released this year (including running in 3D at 1080)

As for the comments above, if you wanted something to push your so-called super computer ..see how your Sandybridge middle of the road e-peen new toy copes with Witcher 2 and uber sampling at a decent resolution. ;)

Tags: Add Tags