1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dungeons of Dredmor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Was Hoping you would review this soon :). I really enjoyed the game, has some great little bits of humour in it, and so, so many references it's like a game in itself just trying to find them all.

My record so far is floor 6, however I then got unlucky and hit a Monster Zoo (note: I'd already killed 25 odd monsters there, and in my laziness clipped off the bottom of the screen. And that particular zoo is not from my best run, just the only screenshot I had)

Well worth it's low price.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Looks like its worth a go at such a low price.

I live near a village called Diggle. No dolphin/power-drill hybrids there, just Lancashire/Yorkshire people hybrids.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

those eyebrows.. out of control

5. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Dungeons ??? come on i am sick of any kind dungeons. In every game there is some kind of dungeon like there is no other place.

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

you seem unfamiliar with roguelikes...

7. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

8. mrMushroom

mrMushroom What's a Dremel?

Looks like a good Castle of the Wind replacement after all these years!

9. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Arty isn't a full shilling and his mate wants to exploite this for his own gains and asks Arty if for £1.00 he'd strangle his missus for him cause he can't take her nagging any longer, " course I will mate " said Arty, " where is she?", she works in Tesco's said his mate, "Ok" said Arty "I'll do it now" and pops off to Tesco's. He finds his mates missus in the frozen pea's aisle and immediately attacks her and strangles her, just as he's finishing her off another customer comes round the corner and see's him, "****" say's Arty and jumps up and strangles her as well, and another bloody customer comes round as well, " i don't believe this" says Arty and jumps on her and starts strangling her as well, by this time security had been alerted and they managed to subdue Arty and have him arrested. Next day the headlines in the Newspaper read: Arty chokes three for a pound in Tesco's.

10. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I'm not a big fan of it, nice little game but it's extremely repetitive. It seems anything you bad you say about this game, someone will say, "But it's a roguelike!" But the point is, if you compare it to other games in general (rather than just other roguelikes), it's not that great. It would be amazing as a mobile game though, but I wouldn't bother playing this on PC when you can get so much better stuff.

p.s. For example I recommend "Eschalon Book 2".

11. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the recommendation rogerrabbits. Got the Eschalon Book 1 demo off steam and purchased it !

12. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Nice! :D

It's a really nice game, very popular with those have come across it too. Everyone seems to love it.

13. thehippoz

got it last night.. the humor is pretty good

tried all the skills at the start.. looking on the wiki ended up with mathemagic, staves, unarmed combat, deadshot, assassination, astrology (just for the radiant aura), and burglary- should end up being a pretty sweet mage

need two of these

http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Orb_of_Nothing

plan to use curse of the golden ratio, stealth, and jump around with xeuclid's translation.. should make it so I'm hell of cheesey- how can you lose it's turn based unless there's archers.. early on use melee to level and put everything into the lutefisk cube I don't need.. archeology looks good too- but with the anvils around, shouldn't be hard to find equipment with mana regeneration and magic power bonuses

load, and re-load until I get the stats I need off the anvils

fackin a my weeked in probably filled now :hehe:

14. thehippoz

for anyone who's playing.. here's a pearl script- I modified it to backup save every 10 minutes.. so you get around a hour and 40 minutes of backups while playing the game instead of a few minutes

stick it in your documents\gaslamp games folder, create and add the path to the shortcut.. run it before you start the game

Code:
    # Dungeons of Dredmor defensive save program
    # Author: cyborg
    # License: same license as Perl, artistic
    # Use at your own risk. No warranties or guarantees.
    # Make the target of a Windows shortcut: "C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Gaslamp Games\save_and_dungeons.pl" "C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Gaslamp Games"
    # You will need to use the in-game save option periodically for this to work. Double-click this shortcut before you begin the game.

use File::Copy;
    use strict;

# signal handler to prevent screen disappearing too quickly on Windows after errors

$SIG{'__DIE__'} = sub {
        print "@_";
        sleep 10;
        exit;
    };

sub directory_files
    {
    my $dungeon_directory = shift;
    opendir(directory, $dungeon_directory) || die "Can't open directory $dungeon_directory: $!\n";
    my @files = readdir(directory);
    closedir(directory);
    return \@files;
    }

# Check to make sure the user knows what they're doing

unless($ARGV == 0) { die 'Need to pass your saved game directory. Try your users folder, for example:
    C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Gaslamp Games
    '; }
    unless(chdir("$ARGV[0]")) { die "Cannot change to gaslamp documents folder.\n"; }
    unless(-e "Dungeons of Dredmor") { die "Improper dungeons folder.\n"; }

# Readability
    my $dungeon_directory = $ARGV[0];
    my $k = 0;
    my $count_directories = 10; # change this to change backup count

# Create directories
    for($k = 0; $k < $count_directories; $k++)
    {
    unless(-d "backup_dungeon_$k")
    {
    mkdir("backup_dungeon_$k");
    }
    }

$k = 0;

while(1)
    {
    my $files = &directory_files("$ARGV[0]\\Dungeons of Dredmor\\");

foreach(@$files)
    {
    print "Backing up $ARGV[0]\\Dungeons of Dredmor\\$_ to backup_dungeon_$k\n";
    copy("$ARGV[0]\\Dungeons of Dredmor\\$_", "backup_dungeon_$k\\");
    }

sleep 600;
    $k++;
    $k = $k % $count_directories;
    }

Tags: Add Tags