1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Agility 3 Review 240GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 17 Aug 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

hmmmm don't think it worth the money if it only scored a 60%

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

LOL!

OCZ are not going to be happy!

Faulty drives perhaps given the pitfall on that one test that a combination of NAND (regardless of asynchronous or synchronous) and the Sandforce 2281 controller seems to be woefully slow?

Ran same tests here, got pretty much the same results apart from the first test which was again nearing the Vertex 3 speed.

Giving an excuse of "down to asynchronous instead of synchronous NAND" is a cop out as an excuse considering the force 3 performsa smidge slower than the v3 yet uses the asynchronous nand and the force GT uses synchronous hence the fact it is pretty much identical to the v3 in how it performs.

How it can be as fast as the v3 (within reason) on all tests bar one (reading the custompc mag) and then all of a sudden be 60% slower on another? Im seeing speeds app 20Mb/s slower.. not 2-300mb/s slower...

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

That’s some good knowledge. Thank you Bit-Tech! I must say I do love the graphs. Do Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe Next

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We've checked with OCZ, and the drive isn't faulty. You can find other Agility 3 reviews that demonstrate the same poor performance in AS-SSD's incompressible data test. The asynchronous NAND just isn't fast enough, and with incompressible data the SF2281 controller cant do the compression magic to make up the difference.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Damn I didn't notice the crucial m4 256GB at that price when I bought the corsair force 3 120GB for £145 the other day :duh:.

7. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

Crucial m4 256GB for £263? Damn, I may have to pick one up. That's amazingly close to 1GB to £1 now.

8. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

SSD's are top of my shopping list at the moment. Nice to know not all SSD's are created equal.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

£1.10/GB actually. Ace how aggressive Crucial is being on pricing. I think that SandForce drives have to pay a LOT more for the drive controller licensing, hence the higher price, despite the same amount of NAND on-board.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

And I thought my X23-M's felt fast, these drives must be blistering to use!!!

11. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

Yeah, temptingly close to the £1 to the GB ratio I decided I wanted to see before I bought an SSD. However I'm using an Asus P5K Premium, so no Sata 3 and due to the silly layout of the board only 4 of the 8 Sata ports are actually usable (any they're all taken up with drives anyway). Despite this, I still want an SSD.

12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

All of these new generations have issues with firmware/controllers... I see lots of people complaining about them

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

not something I would buy to the point just skip this SandForce second gen ssd due to hardware/firmware issues wait for next gen ssd with SandForce in it

price is to high for what it is

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So right there really, bought the corsair force 3 very much aware many are having problems with them but also seen some who were having no problems with them & these are the ones who need to come forward & say no problems here else it makes it look like these companies are selling high priced unreliable crap when you look at the support forums :lol: but people who have good running tech tend to not come out & say if alls well because they got better things to do with their working rig :D & you really shouldn't have to go into buying these things hoping you get an ok one but that's how it seems so hopefully I got lucky but there are many who haven't, if it's as bad as it looks to me how come bit-tech hasn't done an article on it or have they or is it just mostly tech newbs who have been havng probs, I seen many claiming they work in IT maintaining many many PC's & I'm very suspicious about those types as if they say things like that it just seems like they are trying to make the company worry they are gonna lose many sales :lol: bet it's just some newb doing a lot of copy pasting :D.

Imagine how bad it would be if AMD Intel Nvidia released really unreliable products regulary, well Intel mucked up with the needed B3 revision but some how fixed that ASAP & corsair had all the force 3 ssd's recalled after finding they were bad so they could re-release it with a revision so hopefully it's ok now, I won't know though until I complete my case but it has a good new serial begining with 1130 so fingers crossed I'll be ok :).

I remember people whinging like crazy on ocz forum about the ocz summit losing it's write speed but I had no real problems with it even with it losing a lot of it's write speed in bench marks but still not noticable in day to day usage, just I needed more than 60gb for my os drive since some games insist on loading DLC onto the os drive even when you have the games on a seperate drive :confused:. I almost went as far as to go for an ocz vertex 2e but since the force 3 was at £145 for the 120gb I went for that as it was only £10 or £15 more :D anyway I won't know if I'm in for problems for another week or 2 I think.

15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I have a 64 gb version and I think i will return it. Getting frequent lock ups.

16. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Please review some Mushkin drives!

17. djpershan

djpershan What's a Dremel?

any updates on this drive in terms of past bad reviews and past FW issues?

overall is it a good drive to buy, considering the bad review comments were written last in Aug, 2011?

Tags: Add Tags