1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Bulldozer to ship ‘within the next week or so’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 26 Aug 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If they benchmark well (ie: are a real improvement over the system I have) then I might well think about switching to Bulldozer. Since The 990 chipset supports SLI, it's not like I'll lose Surround, either... :)

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I'm not convinced it's going to come close to SB, so too much hype can actually be a bad thing for AMD. At this point, I'm all for a early paper launch, just so we can see some hard numbers and put an end to the speculation.

4. pizzanbeer

pizzanbeer What's a Dremel?

I hope it will be super fast.Time will tell.

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I'd say the Hype has all but gone now tbh...More desperation than anything.

Although that does depend on performance.

6. saneblane

saneblane What's a Dremel?

Good, release southern islands too, and kill two birds with one stone

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

well if it's as good as the benchmarks we've seen already and a bit better it might be in a purchase list for me. As I can get a board to stick in my phenom and then later chuck in a FX. Otherwise it's going to be a 2500k for my next purchase cpu wise.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

faster cores > more cores

I keep hoping AMD will pull it off as I'd like to go back to them for a bit.

9. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

So how long after they ship will we see a review or are you releasing the review on the shipping date?

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Well, if that were true, Bit-tech would let us know that they received samples for testing, like they did with Sandy Bridge. Since that didn't happen, I'm thinking September 19th remains the most probable launch date.

11. buttercup

buttercup What's a Dremel?

What's wrong with just calling them modules?

12. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Unlike Llano which was primarily a embedded part which customers have to make packages for, Zambezi will be getting in end users hands a bit sooner

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Will there be a full review and benchmarks in the next mag, or will it be the one after?

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cause people don't like marketing BS. A spade's a spade

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

The difference is in this case it's more like a spade is 1.5 spades...so yeah they aren't really the same as cores.

16. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

I agree, it would avoid some confusion. For instance when I read "ZDNet is saying that each Bulldozer core will have..." I'm wondering if this 'core' refers what AMD is calling a 'core' or what bit-tech is calling a 'core'.

17. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

Not going to wait for SB-E more money and longer. As I need to invest in new platform for the longer (3years plus) term going Bulldozer. Would like to see info on AMDs new GPUs as well.

18. The_Countess

The_Countess What's a Dremel?

"a core should be an independent execution unit that can accept, process and output work."

it has its own scheduler, 4 pipeline's with ALU's AGU's and instruction L1 and half the L1 data cache is reserved for it (its shared yes, but each core has 1 of the way's of the 2-way cache all to itself.)
    so by your own definition its core.

and i dont see how you can say its one core when its clearly 2 cores that share the a front end. a front-end which in a normal CPU is idle half the time anyway.

but whether you accept that or not, PLEASE dont call a module a core. just call them a module if you must. otherwise, combined with AMD slides and/or other tech site information we'll end up with people thinking a 8core/4mobule bulldozer has anywhere from 4 to 16 cores on it.
    please dont add extra confusion.

19. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

Why do BT continue to try and defy stuff just to be different or controversial. "We are not going to call them modules blah blah blah". I'm sure AMD know more about this architecture and has reason why they are referring them as modules which contains cores than you ill proven knowledge of hardware. I remember when you refused to call the Radeons, AMD Radeons (instead ATI Radeons) just to be idiots - look how that one turned out.

20. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

What I remember is that they said they'd start calling them AMD Radeons when the first Fusion APUs came out (they call them APUs, not CPUs), and also that AMD said that they were fine with this.. So why put this point on? It's.. well.. pointless (see what I did there?)

Tags: Add Tags