1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Warplanes Interview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wouldn't call WoT an MMO, more of a MORPG (not massive).

Quite looking forward to this game though a little disappointed that British aircraft won't be in the game from the get go.

3. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

now I will have no time to sleep!

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Looks interesting. I haven't played WoT, but this I might have to. I was quite interested to see the word skyscrapers used in the article, considering the period in time not many places had skyscrapers aplenty, I am just imagining dog fights over New York...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not including (trying to be objective here) one of the nations that contributed a great deal to aircraft development around that period? Fail.

Not including Spits/Hurricanes especially? Double fail. :p

Still sounds good though, might try and bag a spot of CBT.

6. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Why USSR? In the 30-50's they had naff planes. On the other hand Britain had tones of cool iconic planes.

Anyway the biggest air battles were Britain vs Germany. Then probably USA (and some British) vs Japan. Can't fight any of them.

Fail!

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Interesting. May have to go and play WoT to see what the fuss is about

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Wargaming.net are based in London and Minsk (Belarus) and have a dedicated Russian server for World of Tanks. There is no way that they were going to mjiss out the Russian aircraft as they have quite a following over there.

I do find it a shame that some of the most recognisable aircraft from one of the aviational super powers of the period will not be in at launch but having them added within a year of launch is something I suppose.

German it is for launch then :sigh:

@sotu1: Definitely worth a try as it won't cost you anything but bandwidth and time to do so. It may, however, continue to cost you time and bandwidth as the game itself is just a little addictive!

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

We'll just have to pretend we're on the Eastern Front to start with... BF109-E/FW-190D away!

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah there are no British tanks in WOT either.

Apparently, Britain did nothing in that era of aviation. Who'd have thought it?

11. bagman

bagman Minimodder

This looks awesome :rock:. But I am very surprised that they are going to be in Russian planes at the beginning, I would of had German, British, Japanese and American planes to start with. As they were the main countries fighting with planes.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Always amazed how few value english-speakers give to USSR contribution to WW2.
    Ever seen this?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Allied_army_positions_on_10_May_1945.png
    They did. It is strange not to have some of those modelled from the start, but thet will eventually be there.
    The largest air battles were USSR vs Germany. Around the time of the Battle of Kursk and subsequent soviet offensive.

PS:
    USSR probably had more planes than all of those, except for USA.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Delete.

14. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Oh the amount of WIN coming from wargaming.net is amazing. If i suck up enough can i get some cash to buy an IS7.

I hope they get the flight model right more Ace combat, less hawx. But i trust those guys they know what there doing.

15. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

WoT is pretty solid game considering it can be played totally for free with a steep learning curve(almost every vehicle got its own tactics/strategy approach).
    Looking forward for this title but even more for World of Battleships. Just watching muzzle flash from enemy's 15inch guns and then wait 30 secs to hit/miss your ship. War

16. DbD

DbD Minimodder

That's not an air battle - no one doubts russia's contribution to WW2 but it was mostly a ground war. Hence in world of tanks Russia makes a lot of sense. It was Britain/America that took the brunt of the air war.

True I didn't realise how big that was. However the second biggest and arguably the most important air battle ever was the battle of Britain (Britain vs Germany). Can't do that with no Brits. Then when it went the other way there was the constant bombing of Germany which obviously had plenty of air battles. If you took that as a single huge "air battle" then that dwarfs everything else. That was Britain first, then America joined and took a bigger role.

Equally Britain was a technological leader - developing radar, and the jet engine, often had worlds fastest plane at around that time. Soviets had some good planes but not really the same variety or interesting number of variants that Britain managed.

17. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Frank Whittle & RJ MItchell must be turning in their graves.....

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Don't forget Sydney Camm and the rest of the team from Kingston! The crew behind the last operational biplane and the first operational jet :thumb:

19. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I have a bad feeling about this game.
    It's going to be totally different to World of Tanks which is what I think a lot of people are expecting it to be like, faster paced, no choke points, nowhere to hide and now the initial lack of British aircraft and bombers is really making me lose any interest.
    World of Battleships looks very interesting though.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    All wrong.
    The war between Germany and USSR was not only "mostly a ground war" but also a air battle. Most of Luftwaffe forces were in the eastern front, not the western.
    I would consider that the third, behind the Eastern front and western allies bombing of Germany.
    It does not dwarf the Eastern front.
    They had variety, but chose to concentrate production on some models. And they did it quite well. Apart from USA no other nation produced as many war planes during WW2 as USSR.

PS:
    He-178?

Tags: Add Tags