1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Intel discovers Sandy Bridge E bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Again? Intel's quality control really has been slipping for the last few releases. At least it hasn't been released yet, unlike last time.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Intel are so far ahead of the competition that even delaying these processors wouldn't be a big deal. Hats off the developed a c2 stepping so quickly tho.

4. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

the quality control was fine in this case, caught the issue before release...

5. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

The cynic in me says this increase in manufacturing costs is marketing hyperbole to justify a price hike

6. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

It is massive bug not a little one.

X79 is targeted at server/workstation market where VT-d is absolutely crucial. Right now running my X58 with VT-d enabled and frankly I can't imagine using PC without it as long as I need legacy software/test stuff with different OSes using VM. If VT-d is screwed in the first batch of the chips then the only solution (apart from scraping) for Intel is to ship those CPUs into OEM market where VT-d is not important.

" which isn’t likely to be much of a problem for home users (breathe a large sigh of relief)"
    It is purely nonsensical statement considering how many people using VT-d at home. Some because work require it, some because they need something so trivial like XP Mode on W7.

With every news X79 looks less and less worthwhile investment. If someone need more space for storage then spend money on new RAID card, if you need proper SAS support - spend that money on RAID card. If you need dual CPU and lots of RAM then there is plethora of Xenon 1366 boards around. There is absolutely no need to blow hard earned cash on X79 for what 10-15% better performance (even when they fix VT-d). I said in 2008 that S1366 will be new S775. Looks like a fact ATM. There is plenty of life left in X58.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I do care about virtualization ... take your time Intel :thumb:

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Well, sort of.
    They might not have to do a recall if people/companies know what they're buying, but if the replacement chips aren't available until after launch, then quality control wasn't good enough as they didn't pick it up in time.

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

There is plenty of life left in a lot of older intel chipsets and processors. Most generations only see a 10-15% improvement, so its not like we are seeing a world of change moving up. However, it is an improvement, and if you need it, great.

The top end chipsets and processors from Intel are always expensive. Going from X58 to X79 doesn't look like it is going to be THAT much more expensive. An extra $14-20 for the board because of a more expensive chipset isn't that big a deal when you are talking a 4-8% increase in MoBo/CPU combined price. Processor cost looks like it is going to be roughly where X58 was when it came out. So you are looking at a small increase in cost, for generally a 10-15% improvement in processor power (with a few cases where they is much, much more improvement). Doesn't sound like a bad deal if you are upgrading from an even older chipset and processor. If you are already on X58, it doesn't sound like it makes a whole lot of sense, but it rarely does to move just one generation forward unless you HAVE to have the extra increment in performance.

10. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I just read through vt-d from Intels web pages .. and am still non the wiser to what its actually for

11. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

That is definitely not a small problem. How do you think most people test new apps and do their coursework for certifications at home...

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

it's meant for immensely improving virtualization. the amd-v instruction set is pretty much the exact same thing. try running something like virtualbox with and without vt-d/amd-v enabled and you'll see a day and night difference in performance.

13. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

It provides direct access to hardware for virtualised environments.

Think VMWares ESXi and Microsofts Hyper-V, where you virtualise everything, and VT-d allows the virtual machines to directly access parts of the host PCs hardware.

14. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Hmmm.. I was holding out upgrading my old Q6700 machine for the sandy bridge-e. I guess i will buy up some old stock 2500k now.

oh wait.. yea my q6700 still kicks ass at 3.7ghz

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Can anyone tell me what the difference between VT-x and VT-d is?

16. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

That is definitely NOT just a small problem. It's an inconvenience to home users as well, and I'd like to think it worked on C1 when I've just spent close to £800 on a CPU. Somebody needs a thump and a P45 their way.

I like wasting cash on new platforms, however the closer x79 comes to it's release the more and more it seems it's a complete waste of time, and an interim to the changes they will make in early 2012.

Just because you've no competition in the market sector is not an excuse for sloppy and quite frankly half arsed hardware - which from what I'm gathering is purely to meet the needs of the corporate system builders.

17. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

ah ha Laymans terms ... gotchya

18. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

20 other letters?

19. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

This. x79 looks nowhere near as good as x58 was. Where is the value prospect ala i7 920??

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Get it together Intel, you've not shown me anything that would make me leave my beloved Lynnfield. Still running like a boss today. 2.8 to 4.4 works for me.

Tags: Add Tags