1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 22'' - £100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkW7, 26 Jan 2009.

1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hello -

I have been looking for a 22'' Monitor for under £100 with shipping, i saw one on Dabs for £95 with shipping but they mailed me saying it'd been discontinued, gutted i am still on the hunt.

Specs i would like / Non needed really.

Colour; Black.
    Connection - VGA and DVI.

Main use - Internet browsing: sending emails and forums.

Maybe in the future when i get some more money and can actually afford to make a machine i can game on this may come into play - but thats another story.

Any suggestions / Sites.
    Thanks.

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Mark, with the graphics cards you're using I'd stay 17", any more is a waste

if you're that hell-bent on getting a 22", check Ebay, on a £100 budget you're looking at about 19" brand new

3. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hey Sharn,

I could always get a better card but i've used that with a 21'' CRT and it was fine. Few shops have 22''s for 130ish.

Dabs did have one like i say but they've stopped selling, :l god knows why.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, a few things to keep in mind: TFT (LCD) monitors run best on a digital connection (DVI-D or HDMI). Analog video (VGA) only looks decent up to a resolution of approx. 1280x1024. Any higher and picture quality degrades faster than an M&M in your mouth... :)

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to disagree with the above - I'm using a 20" TFT here, 1650*1080 looks perfectly fine over DVI-A->VGA.

Don't forget, VGA is capable of handling far more bandwidth than even 24" monitors provide.

I'm using a Samsung 2043NW atm, and for £100 it's perfect. Not the best panel in the world, but the build quality is good, and the price is right. Only problem is that it doesn't have both DVI and VGA like you want. A cheap KVM would soon sort that.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I respectfully also have to disagree with the above... :)

The signal quality of analogue VGA deteriorates quickly when you get to higher resolutions. Also, the VGA connector on many (most?) graphics cards outputs quite a lousy signal to begin with. That's mainly because no good CRTs are sold any longer which means that (sadly) VGA gets less and less interesting. German c't magazine repeatedly complains about the mediocre analogue signal quality of modern graphics cards when they do their rather extensive reviews.

All that being said, as always it's a question of personal tolerance/preference. I'm completely convinced you're OK with the analogue image quality at higher res, but from a technical aspect it's pants. Just for the record I should say that I'm personally *still* using a (high-end) CRT for my system and that it also is connected via analogue VGA. I'm OK with the image quality, but I'm running my desktop at 1152x864. Most friends of mine have switched to TFTs, some of them on an analogue connection and you can really see the difference.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2009
  7. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Yeah, this is why i'd like both VGA and DVI as i have access to both and DVI will be better.

Had a look on ebay - all the buy it nows are way over £100.
    So will have to start looking at bidding but i don't really trust them

8. opal

opal Eh?

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609802

£102.99 without shipping. Connector is VGA+HDMI however. Not sure if that is any good for you. It's a pretty decent monitor, I've got one and it does the job and for £100 you cant really complain.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The way around it is simply to use a DVI-A-> VGA converter - VGA might be going downhill on cards, but the DVI ports are getting better and better. The differences between the DVI ports on my last 3 cards have been amazing - each time I've been delighted with the improvements. There is a difference between proper DVI-D and converted DVI-A, but imo, on a budget panel, the difference is slim. Once you get to fancier panels and have 1920*1200 and up, you'll start to notice the difference.

1152*864 is an interesting resolution, what made you pick that? I'm a CRT lover, and if I could afford the desk space atm, I'd be using one right now.

I think the biggest thing in the whole DVI and VGA connection issue for TFTs is the cable - use a cheap converter that comes with graphics cards and it looks crap. Find yourself even a half-decent DVI->VGA cable and the difference is immense.

As you say though, one man's great quality is another's poor quality. On a budget, the only option that would really disappoint imo would be using a poor VGA from a cheap graphics card through a cheap, unshielded cable.

10. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I have a DVI and VGA on the same card so this isnt a problem. :D

Looked at that but only VGA like you say.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just a quick note: There doesn't exist such a thing as a DVI-A -> VGA converter (except possibly as a very expensive niche product). What you're thinking of is a DVI-A -> DSUB15 adapter, which of course can be of varying quality.

DVI comes in 3 flavours. DVI-D, which is a digital signal (HDMI is backwards-compatible to this). DVI-A, which is the same VGA signal as output through the DSUB15 connector. And finally DVI-I, which outputs both signals. Most graphics cards use DVI-I connectors. Most monitors, however, use DVI-D and/or VGA/DSUB15 (or, as of recently, HDMI or DisplayPort) inputs.

You're certainly correct, though, that a lot of the picture quality depends on the cable being used. The better the cable, the better the quality. Sadly, most CRT monitors come/came with a cable already attached.

As for the resolution I'm using, it's the highest one that'll give me 100Hz. My monitor is a Viewsonic P75f+SB, which was the best 17" (due to space issues) monitor I could get back in 2004, when my trusty Sony died. I just hope it'll last until I find TFTs good enough to replace it... ;)

12. opal

opal Eh?

It does have HDMI, which then you would only need a HDMI to DVI converter. Most newer graphics cards tend to bundle them in. Or buy the DVI to HDMI cable. Downside is you need a HDMI cable :)

13. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Fiver from Tescos, problem solved (and it'll do for the time being while the rest of the rig gets sorted) :)

14. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Id still like one under £100 :D

15. opal

opal Eh?

If you want under £100 with shipping you're probably going to have to get it second hand off ebay or something. Pretty sure there aren't any 22" for that price

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, it's certainly cheap AND has DVI-D input. Can't be all bad... :)

Make sure to bag a DVI cable while you're at it! You certainly want a digital connection. Which reminds me of another point. Digital connections will always have a refresh rate of 60Hz. That is normal and quite OK, since a) TFT panels are locked at 60Hz and b) TFT panels by default do not flicker (they *could* kind of flicker, if you're using an analog signal, due to phase disalignment).

Last edited: 28 Jan 2009
  18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If it's anything like every other HannsG monitor then you'll see backlight bleed on blacks but I don't think it's too much of an issue

19. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Thanks Doug, if another doesn't come up looks like thats the one.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2009
  20. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Ok, ordered that one - hope its ok read all the reviews and are all good.

totaled to £106.

Pretty happy with that :D!