1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft blocks Linux from Windows 8 ARM hardware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Microsoft are increasingly annoying me, they're trying to create a closed (apple like) ecosystem and its just ridiculous! Windows used to mean Freedom... not any more it seems

3. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

I am NOT happy about this. I might have o revise my hopes and sick through thick and thin with Android.... I was looking forward to trying out Win8 Nokias....

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Secure Boot and other form of locked bootloaders in the name of security are perfectly fine with me - as long as they provide *ME*, the owner and user of the device, the ability to selectively disable such security provisions if I choose to do so. Going by this, I will only consider buying x86 Windows 8 machines that give me this control in the firmware.

HTC and Sony already provide bootloader unlock tools for those who choose to load custom ROMs on their phones. My Galaxy S is completely unlocked, and has been better off as a result.

5. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

When? That realm has only ever applied to Linux/Unix ¬.¬

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Wait for it, ten minutes later, ah new bootloader and linux is back..... this just gets Windows bad press nothing more. It means more effort will be put into hacking secureboot then otherwise.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It smells like the kind of dodgy deal that got Intel and MS to where they are now.

MS: We need to embrace ARM or risk loosing new markets.
    Intel: Fine, as long as you protect our existing market!

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Relative to Apple :p And for those who Game :)

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I believe they might have been referring to how Windows has always come pre-installed on hardware that you can do anything you want with and install any program from any source you want

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't see a problem with this and neither will the majority of people. It's only the minority enthusiasts market that will moan about it. But why I ask?

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'm trying to care...nope.

12. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

"Are you disappointed in Microsoft's decision to block open source operating systems?"

Yes.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

For the same reason you moan about Apple's closed garden: it's your hardware; you paid for it, you own it (as opposed to the software on it, of which you only own the right to use it within defined parameters), you want to use it as you see fit.

14. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I would be interested in the MS response.

Thinking about this I would say one of the big reasons for MS to do this would be to stop effective 'jailbreaking' of devices with a hacked version of their OS, no? Since no unauthorised bootloader can run, no hacked os can be installed, meaning no unsigned software will run, locking in revnue for MS. I would say the blocking of installation of a 3rd party open source OS on ARM devices must be an unfortunate/fortunate coincidence. Bravo Bill, well played!

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

FTFY :thumb:

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Closed gardens are not just about locking revenue; they are about locking out malware because most people aren't bright enough to mind what they install, and when things go tits-up they blame the machine. You know how people fret over the many viruses out there for Windows. Nobody says: "gosh, I better be a bit careful then and know what I'm doing". Nope, they buy an Apple device instead, because it never has viruses. It has a closed garden.

17. Jhodas

Jhodas Theorist

The implication of this is that vendors will either produce Windows 8 phones or Android phones. Very much a 'with us or against us' from Microsoft. It's a shame really, because a phone that could boot Android and Windows would've been pretty awesome.

Of course, enthusiasts will bemoan the restriction, myself included, but as Snips said, it's only the minority. M$ won't care, the manufacturers that side with them won't care and the majority of people who buy W8 phones won't care.

I however, do care. Getting a bit tired of people like Sony, M$ and Apple telling us what we can and can't do with something we've paid hard earned money for. This is nothing short of a hardware EULA. If I buy a phone and decide I want to use it as a toaster, who the hell are they to stop me?

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

as a chronic linux user (i'm using it right now), I find this ridiculous that companies are actually supporting this. However, I feel that if there are a small group of big-name companies (lets say Gateway and Acer, which aren't huge but big enough that the average person has heard of them) decided to not support this lock. Windows 8 should still be installalbe as with any other OS. If it becomes an advertised feature, many enthusiasts will go after it, and other manufacturers will realize that supporting a restriction is not helping them.

MS needs to realize that they can't just get into any category they want. To me, the main reason they're doing this is because Linux already has a massive head-start in the ARM department. You can run a very functional linux setup using arm. Also, android, a linux based OS, should be able to be installed on ARM computers while, AFAIK, windows phone OSes cannot. MS is just a bunch of sore loosers.

19. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

Could you still theoretically install win8 on an android device?
    Steveo, I don't see how this protects intel's current market.

20. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Here's a thought: Can't Android/Linux be signed in the same way to utilise the Secure Boot functionality?

Surely that should be possible?

Or does "digitally signed with a unique key" really mean "digitally signed by Microsoft with a unique key from Microsoft"

Tags: Add Tags