1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Micron boss predicts end to memory price slump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It never was going to last for ever, which is a shame. But compared to 2 years ago when I paid £180 for 6Gb of GSkill Trident a slight rise really won't be a total killer. We've just been spoiled a bit lately.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

Bear in mind, this is shortly after Micron's previous CEO was killed in a plane accident. It is fairly expected for the new replacement to put the shareholders at ease.

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Oh so is the memory industry going to collude to keep prices high...again?

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

"Christ the CEO is dead, quick, new fella...jump up and say something reassuring"

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I remember very well how much ddr3 were a while ago, painfully expensive compared to how they are now, they've come close to being the cheapest component in a system now :lol: if I get chance I'll buy an 8gb set while they are so affordable.

Don't want to be like :waah: again like I were about HDD's. :D

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

He didn't seem to say the price would go up either. Just that it would stabilize, so the prices may stay the same?

8. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

So there is no self-interest here by promoting a fear that memory prices may rise against increasing demand? Or in reassuring investors that Micron stock is a good bet to buy/hold?
    He would say reassuring things in order to boost the stock market confidence in Micron, whatever he thought would happen to DRAM prices.

He is talking to a business audience that doesn't care about maintaining affordable memory prices or reassuring consumers. He is speaking to investors who want to see stock price rises, and the main way that will happen is increased company profits. How? Well, he said it in the article:

Fewer producers = less competition = less consumer (manufacturers or retail) choice = less competitive pressure to reduce prices = higher DRAM prices.

Micron's strategy to profitability is to reduce their competition, not in reducing production costs through production process research or efficiencies. The final part of the article was a rumored Micron stake in DRAM competitor Elpida.

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

It's Micron, I can't remember a time they were ever cheap under their own name when making memory for Dell etc though of course you get what you pay for and Crucial's their good value side so they're not all bad.

I was tempted to get the RAM for any future new build separately or, now I have 7, to use it in this one and recycle the old sticks later - normally in April we'd have cheap HDDs but the floods took care of that, RAM would be the next best thing to get a bargain with.

David likes this.
Tags: Add Tags