1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Syndicate review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Aww, now that is a shame. It had so much potential from the original theme too, the transition to shooter wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just an opportunity to show off some gritty futurism.

3. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Depends whether the modders will go to town on the PC version, it's good news that there's co-op. Ignoring the score, I will wait until it's in a sale and still give it a go.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2012
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

As soon as I saw that this was already out, I knew the score was going to be bad.

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

But it's ironic that we're discussing 8/10 in the other thread, since this game is classically average, I will pay a lower price but still buy it. Maybe an American Revolt remake on top as an add-on might breathe life into it.

It's strange that the reviewer is totally non-plussed by the game but I'm optimistic about it. Normally I think a game looks crap and reviewers go wild with high scores :)

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

This is the first i've heard of its actually being released, with so little hype or interest as Parge said this was only going to be bad.

Its a shame they needed to sully a brand like this, could they not have come up with another suitable generic title for this bland nothingness.

7. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I'm completely unsurprised, but its disappointing nonetheless - I would *love* a good modern version of Syndicate :(

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I know this is a review of the Xbox 360 version but it looks ruddy awful.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So...worth picking up for a fiver in the inevitable sale?

I was hoping that this game would deliver more. Having said that, the review isn't damning as such; it's more 'meh'.

10. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

I presumed this game would be mediocre, but really wanted to be proven wrong.
    As overworked for me as the FPS's are, I love to see a good example of the genre.
    With the back story of Syndicate, one of my most precious Amiga moments, I REALLY wanted Syndicate to shine, but I wanted a 3rd RTS/Shmup in the series even more.
    I paid GoG good money to revisit it and the game has stood up to time surprisingly well and I'm enjoying it all over again.
    Given that Firaxis has (potentially, but here's hoping the shooter version is awesome) rescued us from X-COM sinking into mediocrity (again, I'm haven't preconcluded on XCOM, just prejudged, my bad) maybe we will get a Syndicate squad RTS. I'd say give it back to Molyneux, but i don't think he's taken his medication for a while...lol

11. Bede

Bede Minimodder

This is not providing my deus ex fix :( I was more interested in the world than the gameplay, but they seem to have made that pretty average too.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So EA rushed another game, I'm so surprised.

/sarcasm

13. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Perhaps it could have better portrayed the bleakness of a corporation controlled future if every building was a starbucks. I couldn't see one in the screenshots, just not realistic at all

14. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I always imagined EA was run by syndicate agents.

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Bu&&£r it!

I had high hopes for this, aw well I guess I'll download the orginal (saw it on Steam or GoG for a couple of quid the other day) and dream of what could have been.

16. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

You should all try Syndicate Wars too if you haven't already.

17. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

A bit disappointing. This was a classic back in the old days. Shame they seem to have messed it up.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Sounds like a bargain bin jobby. I so hoped it wouldn't be the case, but it is.

19. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Oh well, that's that then.

20. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Syndicate wars was damn awesome, i remember playing it at a friend's place wayy back... I was hoping this could bring some of the magic back, but somehow i was sure it won't, as it was an FPS developed by a random studio.
    Like many here have said, no marketing, no nothing etc; I guess they just wanted to "throw it out the door" and hoped that they'll recoup at least some of the investment, while caring nothing for the actual quality of the game.

Damn shame - in a way this could be one of the finest examples of recent years where a game has been made solely because of money, nothing else.

I wonder though, is this the end for syndicate, or could this franchise come back with a blast (as a proper sequel to SW, mind).

Tags: Add Tags