1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Everything Everywhere plans 4G LTE roll-out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Why would anyone need 1Gb/s on their phone?

Given that most policies nowadays are capped at ~3GB a month.

That said, Yay!

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Anything above an o2 GPRS connection round here would be grand.

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

The aim obviously being for you to go over your policy in the first 30 seconds, and for the rest of the month they watch the money rolling in!

5. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Haha ^^

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

While this is good, I'm just after upgrading my phone with orange and have no desire to upgrade again for another few years. Wonder how T-mobile are gonna police this one with their unlimited plan considering people on that are speed capped anyway......Opse! HSPA+ is nice too even tho I have noticed a speed increase on oranges network since 3G sharing with t-mobile came into effect. As said tho, stupid data caps mean it'll be easier to go over with the speed increase an coupled with Orange/Tmobile have the worse data prices of any network out there it'll be a horrible mistake.
    So what can you use the extra speed for? Possibly their swapables, mobile tv is good tho can be very buggy when signal drops below about 3 bars on my atrix (what ever that is equivalent to in dB)

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

With widespread increases in speed it's not unreasonable to see larger data packages being offered. It's a sort of chicken-egg thing of which each provided chooses to offer first, increased speed or increased caps?

I'm glad to have sprung for a 4G phone. The difference when entering 4G range is night and day. Getting 750Kbps and 120ms ping on 3G at home compared to 15Mbps and 40ms ping when testing on 4G.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I've been on Verizon 4G lte for a little over a year now and I'm never going back. With lte all streaming is flawless and content, page loads and downloads are all as fast as my home connection. I've routinely maintained dl speeds of 1.4MB/s.

Thankfully I'm grandfathered in to their unlimited data plan. I'm pushing 5GB a month on this thing.

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Problem with LTE phones at the moment is the poor battery life, and that's poor versus smartphones, which are hardly known for good battery life either. Hopefully more widespread acceptance of LTE will see more development from hardware manufacturers into reducing power requirements.

Looking forward to it though, assuming coverage is there.

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the only phone to get with LTE at the moment is the Motorola Razr maxx as its has Very large battery (3300mha, its 2x an norm smartphone bat you can use it for 6-8 hrs constantly and it still keep on going)

as any currant LTE Phone or even none LTE phone lucky if you get 2-3 hrs use out of it (that's is constant use)

as to why blackberry and Windows phones lack LTE yet as it end up like other phones with Poor bat life

11. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Would be nice if Orange could sort out their coverage first. Paying £30 a month to get no signal in the office is depressing!

There are reports that LTE drains your battery faster than the charger can replenish it...

12. leexgx

depends if your using your phone and the charger is used

the power saving on LTE is better then HSDPA(edit), it nearly uses no power then its idle as long as the phones Radio firmware has it implemented, the Razr maxx does once you updated the phone

1A charger should norm keep up

HTC one's (long nose ones) seems the best one to use, that comes with the HTC desire as its 1A, chargers that are only 750ma to 500ma you could still lose bat power if screen is on

Last edited: 27 Feb 2012
  13. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

That's a bit more reassuring. I had noticed the battery on my phone gets murdered while surfing on HSPA. Guess this is no different!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the tech - it would be useful for people who need to use their laptop on the go, for example. Just doesn't seem to fit with my needs right now...

14. leexgx

at some point there will be an integrated 2g/3g/LTE chip in one package that should use about the same power as the currant high speed 3g phones (HSPA is not really 4g as USA Mobile operators seems to think so, UK only uses HSDPA normally do not think we have any HSPA towers in the uk, i update my post as i did put HSPA)

USB ports can only provide 500ma normally so you can see the charge still going down if your using data and screen is on

Tags: Add Tags