1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BSD coder finds AMD processor bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I doubt he'll be rewarded for his efforts!!

Should that read "can create a condition where the processor incorrectly updates the stack pointer."

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes. Yes, it should. Fixed, ta!

4. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

So exactly which CPUs does this affect?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AMD hasn't said yet; we'll have to wait for the updated errata document to be sure.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

7. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

We all make mistakes, it seems a rather specific set of instructions needed to occur to cause a bug so it would seem unlikely that it would happen much IRL. At least they said cheers for finding a bug !

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

All CPUs have errata lists that seem to go on forever. I'm impressed with the professionalism of both Dillon and AMD in this case; I'd have half expected the developer to go running to the internet media and bring down a firestorm. Instead, he works for a year to isolate it, then works with the manufacturer to validate the issue.

It's not exactly a scenario that is going to happen very often, though - at least consumers won't have anything to worry about if it only happens on >=48 core systems...

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

That's all right then, as long as it's not going to affect my gaming it's hard to be worried about this issue, both chip firms give you more or less lifetime guarantees anyway if you're not overclocking.

They should offer him a job :)

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

good find

11. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I'm impressed at how well he kept his cool.. Segmentation faults can be.. Stressful.
    Must have been somewhat of a relief when he finally figured out it wasn't his code stuffing up.

12. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Where's his reward for finding your erratum?

13. Gareth Halfacree

It's that warm glow of self-satisfaction you get. You know the one. That's the reward.*

* Reward has no cash value. Not redeemable for cash. No alternative will be offered. Limit one per household. Limited time offer. No purchase necessary. See website for details. May contain nuts. Keep out of reach of children. Offer void where prohibited.

14. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I'd best be looking out for it then.

Any word on which CPUs in particular are affected?

15. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Who knows - it doesn't announce itself, it just makes your machine crash. Perhaps it's effected plenty of people with random crashes?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Article updated with a response from AMD - seems it affects the previous four generations of Opteron chips, but not the new Bulldozer-based parts. No desktop or laptop parts affected, either.

17. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

So my new-build 'Mangy-Cours' machine is broken before I've even finished putting it together?!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Only if you're doing something so rare and specific it took an experienced coder a year just to find a reliable test case...

Tags: Add Tags