1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warhammer 40K MMO cancelled by THQ

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

This seriously sucks.

Not mainly because of the bane that is F2P, rather the fact they're laying off staff from Relic. In my opinion one of the great devs around today.

Bring on a sequel to Space Marine and/or Dawn of War and i'll be a very happy bunny though.

Awww crap. Just read that Vigial games are the devs of Darksiders 2, another seriously underrated game. Really hope this doesn't mean impending cancellation of that too :(

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Not a big shock

Star wars cost 3-500 million dollars to make has not exactly been overly successful 2mil subs a whole lot less playing if eu servers are out to go bye perm light load on every server

War hammer does not have that big a subscriber base and I guess they found the break even point to high to realistically continue its development

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

£3 million to £500 million? That's one seriously widely ranged estimate! ;)

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The - denotes that the 3 is represented as a hundred. Like saying three to five hundred million ;)

But on topic this sux, I love DoW and DoW2

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

6. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

As I have said elsewhere not his subject, W40k was never an ideal candidate for MMO due to the sheer scale and nature of the storylines. It could have been good but a fps with squad based play would have been the best way to go. Space marine suffer due to a lack of multiplayer campaign, the multiplayer elements get boring quite quickly.

Dawn of war 2 was not as good as the original due to its lack of scale and buggy windows live, although I hope DOW3 will return to the original formant but will also introduce an online element where your results affect a permanent universe I don't hold out much hope.
    Cutting staff does not suggest they are going to be revolutionary in their approach or try and think outside of the box, instead they will play it safe with effectively no more then patch releases to the engines used in 40k while still charging full price.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Darksiders 2 is due for release in June (29th I think).
    I'm really looking forward to it too.

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

That really sucks to hear about Relic having to lay off staff, they've been behind some of my favourite games over the years, particularly Homeworld and Dawn of War.

9. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

God dam it where is my new dow game :(

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

11. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Definitely add me to that sentiment! Darksiders was a fantastic game (or as I like to call it: God of Ocarina May Cry) and thoroughly looking forward to the sequel!

Also add me to the sentiments of not being able to fathom how W40K could work as an MMO. The entire ethos of Warhammer is geared up for limited scope arena based warfare so is much more suited to RTS than Warcraft style...

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Not too sure of the logistics and I'm kind of speaking before giving it too much thought, but given that in the grim darkness of the far future there is apparently only a bit of aggro, I'd be up for a persistent universe in the same vein as the upcoming Eve/Dust effort. That way you cater for several audiences at once.

13. DaBigDog

DaBigDog What's a Dremel?

Ahhh nuts, what do you have to do to get some decent IP into a computer games, and really does it cost that much to bring an MMO to market ?

Saying that - I wouldn't say no to a 40k RTS game as a consolation prize !!

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That sucks. I think it would have done really well tbh. 40K always seemed to be more popular than Warhammer and I think with Space Marine and DoW it would have helped.

Ah but then how would you say three to five hundred million? I'd say three hundred to five hundred million :p

15. rollo

rollo Modder

it was ment as 300-500million dollars to make

they are break even around 1mil subs or something was said

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Well there goes any tiny whisper of hope for a Homeworld 3 :(

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Shame seeing this go as an MMO, would have been interesting to see how they pulled it off. If only they'd make a Warhammer turn based strategy game, something more similar to the tabletop but sufficiently different for GW to allow it.

Funny that you say "Warcraft style" for an MMO when there are three Warcraft RTS games. :p

18. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

that was meant to say "world of warcraft" :)

19. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I Think MMO's are not as much a gimmick as they use to be. I am a pretty hardcore gamer, although I tend to choose 1 game at a time. I played wow for 4 years, SWG before that until it got the crap game killing updates. but MMO's to me now are all the same, no one is making a big effort to re-invent the genre, SWTOR had a good go, and I do think its a very well made game and enjoyed the beta, but never felt worth investing my time to want to subscribe. Free to play mmo's to me just feel too casual and are even more bland than subscription based ones.
    I am still shocked that no one is putting the customisation and non combat features from SWG into any other MMO, I am seriously considering playing the SWG emulator version when its on a more stable release.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Why couldn't they have 2 modes in MMO's 1 for casual players & 1 for hardcore players, would that not solve the problem with these games?, :confused: surely there would be enough of both sides to make it work.

Tags: Add Tags