1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia launches GeForce GRID

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

This actually sounds pretty good. Yet again, nVidia seem to lead the way in graphics, in terms of software as well as hardware. I am continually surprised at their commitment to their software. Nice.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't wait for this software to be filtered down to nVidia forceware driver level, i'd be the first to pick up a nVidia micro-console for my TV. (*hint*hint*)

im not interested in paying Netflix style subscription to Onlive, but i'm VERY interested in streaming some games onto the TV.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Awesome, Onlive is great on my netbook, would love better quality settings though.

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

They did some work with Splashtop to demonstrate streaming Skyrim from a PC to a Transformer Prime tablet with good image quality and minimal latency. I hope they can extend that technology somewhere too.

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Pity the only customer for this at present is Onlive. Unles Team Green can summon up any competition in the market I cant see this getting on too well.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Did you miss the part where Dave Perry of Gaikai said his company was working with Nvidia?

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

A lot of people don't know what Gaikai is, doesn't seem to get the press the same way Onlive does.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Erm this sounds the same as that other 'cloud based' gaming thing.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm surprised Tim Sweeney didn't take the opportunity at this event to have another nonsensical bash at PC gaming :rolleyes:

Streaming based services will remain a daydream for me with my awesome 400kb/s download speeds here in rural Wiltshire.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Like I said about onlive when it launched...it needs to pump money into infastructure to succeed, the same will apply here. I'm a big fan of onlive but dont fully use it. Simply because I've a huge steam catalogue to play and the fact steam is cheaper. I don't fully see onlive as reliable simply because outside my home the service is usrless. Wifi hotspots are either tightly locked down, too slow or generally non existant. If wifi and even 4G and reasonable data plans appear that will maje or break cloud gaming especially in tablet form. Atm it still challanges home consoles, until quality and internet improves it will never challange a gaming pc or the mobile platform

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yes, Yes I did.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'd put money on valve getting into this tech in the future.

....if I had any money !

14. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Lucky you, I'm stuck on 200KB/s here in East Kent :/ It's actually faster to download stuff if I hook up my desktop to my mobile *shakes-head-and-sighs*

15. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

So, i've just tried Eurogamers Gaikai section, and chose the best game to test this cloud gaming , racing game Need For Speed Run, and on my FTTC connection there was no discernible lag using my 360 controller, twitch overtaking, high speed corners, braking all felt like it was being played on my PC..remarkable..except for one thing..

The amount of video compression going on is very bad, looks like the games running at 800x600 or some other old school resolution, certainly doesn't look anything like the 720p that the game is running at on their servers, and so the sense of immersion is, for me, just not there.

The other service OnLive, seems to have much better video quality but more lag....

16. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

I just don't see remote rendering farms being a practical substitute for a decent rig for a good long while. If someone ever gets around to building a proper fibre-optic grid across the developed world, then we can talk. until then, most people won't have fast enough a connection for such a service to really take off.

however, the potential for this technology is absolutely amazing. Wired LAN transfer speeds are more than fast enough to stream uncompressed HD images between a desktop equipped with a beefy GPU and a HTPC or console without any observable lag. and it seems like the service is already good enough for those trying to get some game time in on their netbooks where the image compression isn't an issue.

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

No they're not, unless you have 10Gbit/s ethernet in your house (I'm going to bet you don't). Gigabit simply doesn't give you enough bandwidth. Let's say you want 1080p (1920x1080). Assuming 24 bits per pixel, you need 1920x1080x24 = 49,766,400 bits per frame. Many gamers will tell you 60fps is about what you need for gaming, which puts you at near-as-dammit 3 Gb/s for uncompressed video alone. Add in multichannel audio and network overheads and you realistically will need somewhere around 4-5 Gb/s of dedicated link speed, i.e. nothing else using your network.

That's the whole point of the encoder chips on the GRID boards - ultra low latency chips to compress the video output for transmission over a network, probably with some kind of adaptive encoding rate tech that detects and adjusts the bitrate to provide an optimum experience for the given network conditions. OnLive is driven by a similar technology. I guess Nvidia's solution is likely to be significantly cheaper for customers, however, as they will make it an off the shelf part, but we're still talking Tesla parts in the thousands of dollars rather than customs of parts running into tens of thousands. The use of something like this in a consumer environment would at this stage be exceptionally niche. I don't think you're going to see a consumer grade Nvidia 7xx series with this technology built in, but I am of course happy to be proven wrong :)

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Holy crap, how is that even possible? Don't you even get ADSL2+?

19. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Alrighty, guess I was making too much of an assumption when I said "uncompressed HD". Of course, compression is easy and there isn't much reason to stream uncompressed files. The Idea I was trying to get across was that this sort of remote rendering would be easier to implement at a LAN level than over the internet. You don't need exceptionally powerful or highly specialized hardware to handle the task b/c the compression level needed at LAN speeds is much smaller than what OnLive uses to stream over the web. As such, I think the tech will likely get adapted to a consumer product at some point and we'll be able to game on out HTPC's while our desktop handles the rendering.

20. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

bloody hell...it would be quicker for you to write a letter and get it delivered rather than using email.

Tags: Add Tags