1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Revisited

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Great article. Games can change massively over a few patches. Maybe it would be good to look at Sword of the Stars II in a similar article.

3. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Does this have LAN play? As in you can play on a LAN with no internet connection?

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Am i the only one who cannot get this game to run on 7? When I load the game I have no control whatsoever in the menu with my mouse or keyboard hence I cannot play the game, which is shocking as I really want to play!

5. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

I think so, not an option that I've explored. What style of gameplay are you looking for? pvp or going up in a 110 with a human gunner?

6. Bokonist

Sounds unusual, I would try verifying your game cache in Steam. Right click on the game in your library, properties:local storage: verify game cache IIRC.

7. Bokonist

@Antony, I take it you've reviewed the latest release version. It may be worth pointing out that there is another patch in the works, or have you been flying with the latest beta patch?

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

This is one of those games that will always have a patch in the works.

9. Bokonist

I'm sure that you're right, but this one is essentially a complete rewrite of the graphics code itself, as well as the usual FM tweaks etc. The success of this patch will probably determine the future sucess of the series as well as having a major effect on the games performance, and in some players cases the ability to play the game or not.
    So yes its pretty important to make the distinction about whether the review was based on the current release version, or the beta patch.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2012
  10. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

My copy (that i bought when it was first released) is still sitting on the shelf and will remain there even now, aside from the issue around frame rates the lack of content as discussed in this article was extremely disappointing given the predecessors of the series, when they release more content or better player set missions then i will revisit it...maybe in another years time.

11. Bokonist

@theLaw if you're interested in the single player content check out the missions created by Heinkill available from simhq and his own website, also the Desastersoft campaign mentioned in the article goes way beyond what is included in the basic game.

12. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

I hate to be pedantic but the 109s in the 1969 BoB film were Buchons which ironically also had a Merlin engine.

IL2FB was unique in that the game stayed with me on each computer I had for almost 10 years. No other game has come close to that! I loved taking a Hurricane up when everybody else had a spitfire, or working to get the most out of that Tempest.

Ultimately the constant 'ping cheats' warping about and servers with superwoman mode ruined that game for me.

I am interested to see that there has been active patch development because I really miss taking an old warbird up for a spin. Modern flight sims have never had the same appeal. Now all I have to do is get myself another joystick (do they even make force feedback sticks anymore?).

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

14. Bokonist

Thanks for posting this.

I really appreciated this article. Not many mainstream sites or magazines did a review at all on first release. Mainly due to the fact that the devs knew what a mess it was on release, and didn't send copies out to the press for fear of getting slated. The patches have made it better, and as I've indicated in previous posts there is more in the works.
    Most of my serious gaming time has been spent flying spits and hurricanes this past 12 months, and I'd like to see more people joining this very friendly and knowledgeable community.
    If you're even just a little curious about flying the BOB please jump in. :)

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags