1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms Windows 8 upgrade pricing, System Builder edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 3 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That's not too bad in terms of prices. It's a shame though, because I'm not a big fan of windows 8's UI.

3. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

Having used it since the DP in October, it's taken a while to grow on me, but I prefer it on my touch enabled laptop to Windows 7 (one of the TouchSmart 2nd gen devices). The only reason why I haven't switched it on my desktop is that there are some stability problems with my GPU drivers and one or two issues with my chipset/graphical freezes, but, in my opinion, an upgrade key at that price is worth it. :thumb:

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

At that price I'm going to do my laptop but our four pc's are staying windows 7.

5. Elton

I think windows 8 is made purely for tablets. It seems that way. Mind you the upgrade keys should be more than welcome.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I know this is going to get me a load of hate mail but I’ll definitely upgrade if it goes on sale in the UK at ~£30.

As correctly asserted by the Microsoft engineers I have all my apps pinned to the taskbar and very rarely delve into the start menu anymore. Plus, I like the Win8 tiles system. Right now, apart from my efforts to integrate Rainmeter my desktop is very sparse indeed and needs filling up!

Shirty likes this.
  7. Elton

Naah, if it works for you all the better. I'm still not adapting to it as well as I should. Or want to.

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Have paid £50 each for the last two Windows upgrades so can't see any reason not to buy this as well; been running it on both systems since January anyway.

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I read elsewhere that the cheap upgrade price runs out in January 2013. So I will probably leave upgrading from win7 until December, by then there should be plenty of feedback from early adopters.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Again what does it actually do?

In what way is it an "upgrade"? How is it better than Windows 7? How was that better than XP? How was that better than 2000? How was that better than 98?

Yes, there are technical changes under the hood, and you can argue to an extent that they're better because of those (the GPU compositor in Vista and going to NT kernel in 2000 were both long overdue, for instance). At the end of the day, though, the user experience of windows hasn't changed in 17 years, and for the entirely circular reason that people buy windows to get that user experience. Obviously the whole tablet UI thing is worthless and will be immediately switched off by most people (it's also a trivial piece of programming which could have been made available as an alternate shell for anyone who wanted it).

So again, what features does this upgrade actually offer?

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Precisely the same thing every GUI OS has done since they were invented 30 years ago, just in a nicer way. What else were you expecting? You know precisely what Win8 offers, you're just being deliberately contentious.

Enough with such pointless posts, I object to them using up my bandwidth.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you can't find something in here that floats your boat, then it will do very little for you.

[Captain Patronising Analogy]It's much like "upgrading" from a Mk1 ford Focus to a Mk2 - they both do basically the same thing, but one is rounder and newer looking than the other.[/Captain Patronising Analogy]

I'll be doing what I always do. Wait six months after release, appraise the various comments, reviews, tweaks and tips, then buy the Family pack for three licenses, splitting the cost with my old folks. Tweak and profit £££.

:thumb:

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Meh, I don't have a tablets so I doubt I'll be getting W8. I don't even thing my laptop is worth "upgrading"

14. MikeO

MikeO What's a Dremel?

Having just bought a new PC with Windows 7 Professional, I'll definitely be upgrading for just £14.99. However, metro will get disabled straight away. I'm only after the kernel improvements.

15. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

Is there a way to turn off the tablet interface? I would only be using this on a desktop without a touch screen so would prefer a more traditional interface.
    If it is only going to cost ~£30 to upgrade I would be very tempted

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Are you sure you didn't read it here, because that little fact is definitely in the article. :p

17. MikeO

MikeO What's a Dremel?

You mean the Metro UI? Yeah, it can disabled through the registry leaving you with the normal desktop + start menu.

18. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

At £30 I'll definitely be upgrading my tablet, but I don't really sea the point of upgrading my laptop and desktop.

19. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

I'll be upgrading my PC, Laptop & media centre. Purely to make sure I can run latest software and be certain of getting driver support for newer purchases. It shall never be this price again.

20. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Looks like a good way to get me onto the same platform for all my home equipment. Hope the price doesn't vary too much i.e. is not >£39.99 because otherwise the answer is no, I'll stick to Win 7 and Vista.

Tags: Add Tags